PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I've got two pipes to add to my GBD family.
The first one is a Theydon I was able to verify from Pipedia: http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=Theydon&go=Go
It's the larger of the two depicted below:
photox.jpg

The smaller pipe is a Ranga. The only info I found on it was a thread in another pipe forum from a gentleman named Monbla256:
"I have 4 very nice "Ranga" pipes which I bought from a shop in Dallas back in the 70's which were made for them by GBD. They have "Ranga" imprinted on one side with a GBD shape # and Made in England as GBD put on their pipes on the opposite side."
photoy.jpg

Does anybody know anything about the Ranga line?
Thanks.
Fnord

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
Are you sure its marked gbd and not g&d? Ive read about a gbd knock off that had a ranga

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I read a post on another forum, whose member also had a Ranga with a GBD corresponding shape number. So it does apper to either be a GBD 2nd or made by them. I think the French factory did make pipes under other names. Very interesting stuff.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Cap and Lonestar: the birdseye on the the pot is lovely and it smokes much better without a filter, but I can't get around the damned bit. It almost feels, and certainly looks like, plastic and, being a clencher, I'm always afraid that I'm going to chomp right through it. I've come close to gifting it to newbie pipe smokers, or throwing it out on the Bay, but I can't pull the trigger...yet.
Al: Thanks for the double tap verification on the Ranga being a GBD 2nd. When so many of the leading companies knocked out blanks for large B&Ms or siphoned off over runs to monster dealers like Wally Frank, one source is always a good thing while a second source can seal the deal for me. (BTW, sending you a PM on the missing sandblast in the second pix.)

Status
Not open for further replies.