PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I didn't have a Prehistoric 9438 and was able to grab this one from Ebay last week. Even with curiously high prices for 9438's on recent auctions, this one went unnoticed. (pix were a little weak). I was surprised to have won it for a buck over the opening bid.
The pipe was delivered today and is in overall pretty decent shape. The nomenclature is weak, but legible. There is some wear on the front of the bowl and a few curious cut-like marks on both sides of the stem (in the middle). The usual tar build-up on the polished rim. I think it will clean up nicely and I'll post pix of that process, including a Reborn Pipes entry.
Member cajundad just sent me a retort this week, I think I'll give that a try on this one.
GBD_9438_Prehistoric.jpg

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Al, if my PAD wasnt non-existent this month we would have had a bidding war! LOL Since I couldn't own it I'm glad you do. :puffpipe
EDIT: And I can't wait to see it all gussied up, too!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Nice catch, Al.
After seeing your earlier scrub jobs, I know this pipe will be a beauty when you're done with it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I thought this was going to be a simple buff and clean, but the pipe took a little more effort due to a self-inflicted issue.
I cleaned the bowl with my new retort, which worked well and really scoured the bowl. I cleaned the tars off the bowl rim which revealed a nicely polished rim edge that I love on Prehistoric grade GBD's. The rest of the bowl was buffed lightly with tripoli, white diamond and then several coats of carnuba wax.
While I worked in the bowl, the stem was soaked in a mild Oxy-clean solution (the brass GBD rondell was covered with some grease). I removed the outer layer of oxidation with 1500 and then 2000 grit paper. There were several light tooth indentions on the top of the stem and they popped out nicely with some heat. The nicks/cuts on the middle of the stem (handling?)took some effort with 800 grit paper. After the 2000 grit paper, I used 8000 and then 12000 grades of micromesh. The stem was then polished on the buffer with white diamond and then plastic polish.
When I went to photograph what I thought was the finished pipe, I was disappointed to see a crack on the underside of the stem, near and through the button. To fix that, I greased a cleaner, inserting into the stem. I then dribbled some superglue down into the crack. When it was dried, I sanded it smooth with 800 then 1500 and 2000 grade paper, then the micromesh and buffing wheel. The crack looks and feels solid now and I don't think it will cause me any issues.
Before:

GBD_9438_Prehistoric_Before.jpg

GBD_9438_Prehistoric_Before2.jpg

GBD_9438_Prehistoric_Before3.jpg

After:

GBD_9438_Prehistoric_Finished.jpg

Untitled.jpg

GBD_9438_Prehistoric_Finished6.jpg

GBD_9438_Prehistoric_Finished1.jpg

Crack Repair (with some hair/fuzz...):
GBD_9438_Prehistoric_Finished5.jpg

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on your new pipe. I am glad that the cleanup process went well. You might want to mention the crack in the pipe to the Ebay seller. Hopefully they missed it rather than tried to cheat you by not mentioning it in the item description.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I can't say that I didn't cause the crack with either the retort (1st time using this) or heat to pull the teeth indentions. The heat may have either exposed a crack hidden under the oxidation or caused it outright, but I can't be sure of either situation. So, I don't hold the seller accountable and it was sold "as is". It's good to go now, that repair will probably outlast the rest of the stem...

Status
Not open for further replies.