PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TPABrahma

Lurker
May 7, 2023
Greetings-

I am a long-time GBD fan, having had a Oom Paul shape “961” that was sadly stolen along with other Prehistoric/Perspex GBD’s back in the ‘80’s. I’m interested in just what a GBD “collector” shape means- was that a particular line or something?

I am really, really looking for another 961, preferably unbanded if possible, if anyone would like to part with it.

Thank you!

TPABrahma

Lurker
May 7, 2023
After being with Barling for 40 years, Horry Jameson, who carved FREAKS in the 1920's, and many of Barling's quaints in the decades following, moved over to GBD to create freehands, which were labeled Uniques and Collectors.
Interesting. Any idea how long each took?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like many factory pipes, GBD's current crop seems to be out of favor. Iwan Ries has a selection at half price for about sixty bucks, all sandblast all-back traditional shapes.

They could be pretty fine pipes, but no one is going to collect them for a decade or two, if then.

Kaywoodie went out of favor after being on the A team when Dunhill was junior varsity -- then Dunhill marketing went to work and we see how they are priced today.

But I'm impressed with the several Kaywoodie I have bought new over the past six or eight years. To me, the quality is good, the relatively thin bowl walls provide more than ample insulation, so the weight is fairly light. They are pipes way beyond their price point in quality. But that's just me talking.

Back to GBD. The old, good ones.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon