Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
So this isn't an initial review as I have finished 4oz. I've copied over my review of GH Coconut Twist from TR and modified it.

if you've tried the unflavored ropes, you've tried this one. I loaded up G&H Cherry Twist in an multiple billiards. In the bag, no Cherry smell. In the pipe, no Cherry taste or smell. If you took this tobacco down to the police station and asked their K9 unit to sniff for Cherry, they wouldn't be able to detect it. This blend is to Cherry what Miley Cyrus is to lady like elegance or what Bruce Jenner is to sanity.

Here is the thing, G&H ropes are fantastic if you like the genre. But when they say Cherry or Coconut, do not expect a Cherry or Cherry aromatic. I'm not sure what they put on the Cherry or Cherry but it certainly never lasts beyond the initial lighting that I have experienced. From then on, it's just great, rich tobacco. Maybe they wave a Cherry over this at the factory or are just thinking about Cherry when they make it but it has no Cherry flavor and no Cherry aroma. Maybe have some Cherry pie while your smoke this or suck on a Cherry Jolly Rancher to bring some Cherry to the experience. Actually, that might be good.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I really think the "flavoring" on twists is just straight up rum, coconut rum, cherry rum, whiskey, etc. The flavor is already very dilute and most flashes away with the alcohol. It would make sense since that's the way navy twists were supposedly historically made.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I really think the "flavoring" on twists is just straight up rum, coconut rum, cherry rum, whiskey, etc. The flavor is already very dilute and most flashes away with the alcohol. It would make sense since that's the way navy twists were supposedly historically made.

And for me, the rum version is softened a bit. It's one of the few I noticed a difference with. I tried spraying some coconut rum on some brown bogie and you are right, it just flashed away any coconut. I'm going to try some dark rum and some bourbon and see if they make a difference.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Great reviews sir, keep them coming.

I get some coconut flavor from the coconut twist. To me its more like sun tan oil than coconut cake. I swear if I smoke it carefully I can taste some of those lucky nights at Panama City Beach during spring break, waaay back in the day.

I'm only a little curious about the cherry, I'm sure I'll get around to it though. Is this a brown or a black rope? My understanding was that coconut and maple were brown and the cherry was the black.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Because of their rep I avoided the ropes for years. But the when I became a nicotine fiend I began to smoke the GH Black and Brown. I found the Brown an incredibly rich tobacco and the Black with so many overtones I couldn't count, and always exotic. I would render a bout 100g at a time completely by hand so as to commune with the faithful departed rope smokers past.

Reactions: hauntedmyst
Status
Not open for further replies.