Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our featured interview tonight's Pipes Magazine Radio Show is with Gabe Hall. Gabe is a 23-year old conservative Californian from Bakersfield that is involved in politics part time. He is part of our newer ongoing series of pipe smokers that are under the age of 30. Both his story of starting pipe smoking, and his smoking routine are a little bit different than the usual story. At the top of the show we will have an Ask the Tobacco Blender segment with Jeremy Reeves. Jeremy is the Head Blender at Cornell & Diehl, which is one of the most popular boutique pipe tobacco companies in the USA.

The show airs every Tuesday at 8:00pm eastern US time, and can be found at PipesMagazine.com and all podcast apps.

Gabe-Hall.jpg

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Congratulations on being spit up on. It’s a right of passage indeed.

Regarding the possibility of C&D tin art as posters I would like to quote the great philosopher Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, “Don’t care how, I want it now!”.

Interesting that Gabe is more concerned with the tobacco than the pipes. I was obsessed with both when I got started. Nate King is a great first artisan pipe. Always love hanging out with Nate at the Vegas show and I can say the two pipes I have from him are excellent. The long commission list is well worth the wait. Also gives you time to save up the money.

It’s really good hearing these interviews with the younger crowd. Their enthusiasm for the hobby is comforting that the future is bright for the hobby.

I won’t wear a flag, but I will keep my limited edition Mark Twain Missouri Meerschaum corn cob that has a red white and blue acrylic stem in my mouth all day to celebrate America’s birthday.

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
Hi Brian,
Nice interview with Gabe. These young pipe smokers are interesting, but they sure do make me feel old. Thanks a lot. With 5 grandchildren I've been spit up on plenty and changed a few diapers too. Never say never. As for the C&D tin art, posters aould be fine, but more practically I'd suggest tee shirts or even ball caps. Great music, by the way.
Cheers,
Ira

jbfrady

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Yet another great interview! I'd be curious on whether Gabe jumped in immediately with English tobacco because he liked its shoe sole-esque smell or whether he opted for English because Sherlock Holmes was English.

As to the poster demand in the Reeves conversation... I'd like to remind everybody that if you buy enough C&D (or GLP) tins, you can carefully remove then overlay and paste the labels in a brick wall pattern over card stock until it fills the space, then laminate or frame it, and... Bam! Poster. Problem solved. And it looks quite nifty.

As to Brian's response from my comment last week, I did indeed listen to that episode any the initial naming of MM, and the reasoning made sense... for its time. If I recall correctly, they even coated early cobs in some kind of plaster that resembled the Meerschaum appearance. I just feel like the reasoning doesn't make sense anymore. With Meerschaum no longer being the most popular product, I believe it's having diminishing returns. (Their weed pipe "Cornabis," however... that's genius.)

Also... touche on your Popeye point. I suppose I'd overlooked that particular pop icon, but minus Robin Williams's rendition, he was a wee bit before my time.

Last edited: