PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
As I journey through the G&H family of twists, this is my first encounter with a presliced version. It comes in a green and white bag. Don't be fooled by imitations like some of the Chinese knock offs such as Gowiths & Hogwarts Blackish Twirl Sliced which I discovered is mostly burnt hay & ramen noodles with a little Mongolian Virginia thrown in. (I should have known $2.99 a pound was to good to be true.).

So this looks like their black twist just all sliced up. It has that Gawithy, Hoggarthy, black ropey smell to it in the bag. It needs some drying time. 15 seconds in the microwave made it feel ok but still it smoked slightly wet. Next time I go for 20. At first light, it's actually rather bland and disappointing. Like the virgin bride said to the groom, "just give me time baby!".

By about 3/4 bowl she's found her stride. The warm, woody, photosynthetic, hyperkinetic, nutty, fruity, chewy, coffee, round, leathery, new car smelly, full, chocolatey, milkshakey, burrito grande, deep, wide Ducati Diavelness, sky rockets in flight, afternoon delightiness, what ever did happen to the Starlight Vocal Band goodness of it all kicks in and it just stays there wonderfully throughout the rest of the bowl without much variation. If you've found the Brown ropes to harsh, give this a try. As SpinalTap would say, those go to 11. This one only goes to 10.

For those of you who don't have mine or Jim's sophisticated palate, here is a link to it on TR. I'll write a more detailed review after several more bowls.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
By about 3/4 bowl she's found her stride. The warm, woody, photosynthetic, hyperkinetic, nutty, fruity, chewy, coffee, round, leathery, new car smelly, full, chocolatey, milkshakey, burrito grande, deep, wide Ducati Diavelness, sky rockets in flight, afternoon delightiness, what ever did happen to the Starlight Vocal Band goodness of it all kicks in and it just stays there wonderfully throughout the rest of the bowl without much variation.
And to think I was wondering why I can't taste a thing Jim says he tastes! Guess I'll go back to lolliops . . .;)

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I love all the brown ropes, I haven't gotten around to the black. I've heard that they have a motor oil taste so I've avoided them, as I cannot see how that would be a good thing. You haven't mentioned this, I'm sure they are worth a try. Do you recommend the pre sliced? Do you notice any difference from the ropes? Also how is the nicotine in this one? Sorry for so many questions, your review has inspired me to make my move on some Black Twist.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yea.. maybe its not nicotine. Some blends definitely seem to relax me more than others. I know that for sure, but its a fleeting thing the buzz I feel from some pipe tobacco.
Some are more sensitive to nicotine than others. I notice it chewing plugs and ropes but never from smoking a pipe.

Reactions: kurtbob

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The Black Irish XX stuff isn't bad at all. If sliced on the thick side you will get the dreaded BBQ smell. You have remember this stuff is coated in Olive oil as part of the pressing process. There is a youtube video about how SG does this stuff from the 1970s that someone posted on here a few weeks ago and I would be surprised if the process had changed noticeably. The Brown twists have a lot more oomph to them and since they are thinner that makes them easier to slice up and prepare. I have and do chew both and they are both enjoyable compared to the sweetened U.S. offerings.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The Black Irish XX stuff isn't bad at all. If sliced on the thick side you will get the dreaded BBQ smell. You have remember this stuff is coated in Olive oil as part of the pressing process. There is a youtube video about how SG does this stuff from the 1970s that someone posted on here a few weeks ago and I would be surprised if the process had changed noticeably. The Brown twists have a lot more oomph to them and since they are thinner that makes them easier to slice up and prepare. I have and do chew both and they are both enjoyable compared to the sweetened U.S. offerings.
Haven't chewed Wild Duck Twist or Cotton Boll have you? No sweetener there. Very good twists.?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@ chasingembers :Chewed Cotton Boll. I thought it was pretty good and it was very good in a pipe if you really liked your nicotine delivered in fashion of having a paving slab dropped on your head from a very great height. I personally like King B twist which is one of the few sweetened ones I enjoy and you can smoke it but it leaves a bit of a goopy residue and hence why I stick to my usual rather limited universe of plugs and twists.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I love all the brown ropes, I haven't gotten around to the black. I've heard that they have a motor oil taste so I've avoided them, as I cannot see how that would be a good thing. You haven't mentioned this, I'm sure they are worth a try. Do you recommend the pre sliced? Do you notice any difference from the ropes? Also how is the nicotine in this one? Sorry for so many questions, your review has inspired me to make my move on some Black Twist.

Sorry I missed this Funk. S!iced or Rope, it really is the same. I bought the sliced just to try it and noticed no difference. No motor oil taste at all. The nic is a hair lower. To me really the biggest difference is the black ramps up to its sweet spot where the Brown is there from the first light.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Sorry I missed this Funk. S!iced or Rope, it really is the same. I bought the sliced just to try it and noticed no difference. No motor oil taste at all. The nic is a hair lower. To me really the biggest difference is the black ramps up to its sweet spot where the Brown is there from the first light.

Thanks for the answer. If thats the case, the slices are one less step. Nice reviews.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
As I journey through the G&H family of twists, this is my first encounter with a presliced version. It comes in a green and white bag. Don't be fooled by imitations like some of the Chinese knock offs such as Gowiths & Hogwarts Blackish Twirl Sliced which I discovered is mostly burnt hay & ramen noodles with a little Mongolian Virginia thrown in. (I should have known $2.99 a pound was to good to be true.).

So this looks like their black twist just all sliced up. It has that Gawithy, Hoggarthy, black ropey smell to it in the bag. It needs some drying time. 15 seconds in the microwave made it feel ok but still it smoked slightly wet. Next time I go for 20. At first light, it's actually rather bland and disappointing. Like the virgin bride said to the groom, "just give me time baby!".

By about 3/4 bowl she's found her stride. The warm, woody, photosynthetic, hyperkinetic, nutty, fruity, chewy, coffee, round, leathery, new car smelly, full, chocolatey, milkshakey, burrito grande, deep, wide Ducati Diavelness, sky rockets in flight, afternoon delightiness, what ever did happen to the Starlight Vocal Band goodness of it all kicks in and it just stays there wonderfully throughout the rest of the bowl without much variation. If you've found the Brown ropes to harsh, give this a try. As SpinalTap would say, those go to 11. This one only goes to 10.

For those of you who don't have mine or Jim's sophisticated palate, here is a link to it on TR. I'll write a more detailed review after several more bowls.
Best review ever sir!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Nice review!

I enjoy the brown twists quite a bit, but hadn't tried the black. I assumed I'd like it. I remember someone saying a while back that they thought it tasted like burning plastic. Surely hyperbole, I thought. But after trying a couple of bowls of Black Irish over the past few days, I kind of agree. Possibly roofing tar. I think it is a bit lighter in nicotine and a bit smoother than the brown, but far less appealing, flavor-wise, to my palate. I've chewed on the Brown and enjoyed it that way as well, but the odds of me putting the black into my mouth are, um, pretty long.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
hauntedmyst said:

The warm, woody, photosynthetic, hyperkinetic, nutty, fruity, chewy, coffee, round, leathery, new car smelly, full, chocolatey, milkshakey, burrito grande, deep, wide Ducati Diavelness, sky rockets in flight, afternoon delightiness, what ever did happen to the Starlight Vocal Band goodness of it all kicks in.

The best description yet of the lack. It was like an orchestra of which I never tried. I never got the motor oil/bbq taste.

smokey789

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Western Pennsylvania
I shouldn't read these reviews. I have a hack of a wish list already. I want to try this one, too and others mentioned. Thank you all for your honest opinions. It's such a big help to find something to try that I will probably really like, rather than smoking something I don't just to keep from wasting it. Though, I haven't found anything I hate.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I had maybe the same blend as rope. It was said to be less nicotine strong than the brown, but quite sufficient. I sliced it and rubbed it out, and it was a good stop on my strong tobacco quest of yore. Once I learned to accommodate its robust flavor and buzz, it was pleasant if not complex or refined (which weren't the object anyway).

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I love me some motor oil/BBQ taste! But you left out the subtle nuances of engine grime that forms on the motor. Oh, it's there, believe me and combined it is GLORIOUS I tell ya! (sad part is I mean it!)...... rotf cray rotf cray rotf cray

• Haha
Reactions: kurtbob
Status
Not open for further replies.