PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shillelagh3

Lurker
Feb 19, 2011
Georgia
I have a skull-shaped meerschaum pipe my wife got me a few years ago, and I'm a little concerned about it. I don't smoke it often, mainly because it has a questionable smell coming from it when I smoke it. I've smoked two or three different tobaccos in it and I've also smoked the same tobaccos in other briar pipes. I don't get the same "aroma" from them in the briars. The scent is not overpowering, and only noticeable to me, but I'm embarassed to admit that I keep smoking a pipe that faintly smells like a septic tank. I keep hoping it'll go away with use. Any possible explanations?

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Well it could be that it'll go away with a few more smokes. It could just be the extra wax they used finishing it getting bumped away. Another thing you could try would be to just get a cotton cloth, wet it a little (water or spit either will be fine) and use it to wipe out the bowl. That last bit of advice was given to me by a fella who's been smoking meerschaums longer than I've been alive so I trust him.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I believe our own Bob Tate had this problem; and I don't think it was ever solved.

My theory is that the raw block from which it was carved was stored in close proximity to a dead fish.

It is also possible that the raw blocks were stored on the shop floor and "marked" by a dog or cat, IYKWIM.

fatman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Shill, I'm no Meer expert by any means, but some meers are just plain cheap! If you want a great meer made in BLOCK...(there is a diff), check out ALTINOK's meers. You're not the first I've heard say that they have a nasty smell emitting their meer and it just didnt go away! I have a real cheap one, or should I have said an inexpensive one, but I didnt buy it to smoke, but to have as it's a H-D design.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Did your wife buy it new ? Seems odd to suddenly develop something like that, but if it was an estate pipe I could see it holding an old funky smell.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Beeswax and solvents that the Carver used on Block Meerschaum Pipes should

go away after the first few smokes of a new Pipe. Another possibility is that

the Pipe isn't Block but pressed Meerschaum. If the Pipe is an estate, then

it could have been used by a previous owner to burn aroma therapy oils...

Bob can tell you the story of his stinky Meerschaum.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I bought a Peterson meerschaum in Savannah GA back in th '70s and it smelled like a paper mill for several years and through many bowls of tobacco. I really didn't mind the odor, but it was clearly there for some time. Eventually, the meerschaum will tobacco-ize itself, but it could take quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.