PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I had some free time and nothing in particular to do with it this morning, so I decided to repurpose an empty Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia tin into a pocket sized grab-and-go pipe kit. I took the label off the back, cleaned the sticky label gunk off with some isopropyl alcohol, then slapped a Morgan Pipes sticker on the front and filled the tin with a BIC lighter, Czech tool, 10 neatly bent pipe cleaners, and a snack sized Ziploc bag with about 5 small pipefuls worth of tobacco. Gawith Hoggarth Dark Bird's Eye, for those who may be curious.

20240712111619_IMG_6525~2.JPG
20240712112048_IMG_6547~2.JPG
20240712111914_IMG_6544~2.JPG

It was a fun little project and everything fits nicely without rattling around, so it should come in handy for afternoons out and about. I do already have a couple proper leather pipe and tobacco pouches that'll hold all of the above and a lot more without the need to bend the pipe cleaners, but I thought this was just a neat way to reuse an old tobacco tin that would have otherwise ended up in the trash.

How about you? What uses have you found for empty tobacco tins?

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
Cool idea! 👍

I toss the tins and save the lids. They are used to decorate my lounge walls and leave behind a story "book" of experiences. I often look upon the various baccy lids and cigar box decorations and reminisce about the flavors, the experience, the company and the good times spent with each blend. Some have been out of production for years, others are quite new. It's my personal never-ending story...

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Bought a little clock kit at a craft/hobby store and made a little clock out of one once. I don't know what to do with most of them and have thrown out loads. I've another pile looking back at me wondering where it will go or how to get used.

If I had the right wall material I wouldn't mind putting them up all around in my garage walls but I don't want a million holes...

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
Bought a little clock kit at a craft/hobby store and made a little clock out of one once. I don't know what to do with most of them and have thrown out loads. I've another pile looking back at me wondering where it will go or how to get used.

If I had the right wall material I wouldn't mind putting them up all around in my garage walls but I don't want a million holes...
Finish nails = tiny holes. If you never take them down you'll never know they're there. :P
If, for some reason you do, easy to fill or even tap with a finish hammer and a touch of paint w/o filling covers them easily. Hence, not a concern pour moi. ;)

Reactions: FLDRD

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've been using a zippo for over 12 years straight now. Give or take a few emergencies. One day at a flea market I found a guy selling flints and wicks. Something real cheap like, 5 for a dollar.

Well I walked away with about 20 packs of flints and 20 wicks.

I use the first 2 tins I bought of OJK Blue, to store them in now.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Before I remodeled the shop/smoking lounge, I used to display a bunch of my old tins on the wall. When the changeover happened, I tossed pretty much all of those tins as I didn't have a place for them with the new setup. As I open new tins I'll start a collection again, and potentially find a new place to display them.

Reactions: dottlejockey