PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My Scottish heritage delights in a bargain, whether it be a pipe, knife, tools or a common article like a full grain leather blue jeans heavy belt hand crafted in the USA for only $19.95 delivered. It’s actually a little long for me and my Amish renter will shorten it at his harness shop in a couple of weeks for a nominal charge and I get to watch the process. New leather belts are so cheap the Amish harness shops sell synthetic leather substitutes only, they buy and resell.

IMG_5367.jpegIMG_5368.jpeg

There is such a glut of leather in the United States none of the custom slaughterhouses I know of have any market for hides, as formerly . The owners must bury the hides to dispose of them at their expense instead.

A good share of the $19.95 price I paid went to postage and handling.

How dey do dat?

• Wow
Reactions: Scottmi
I used to prefer Swiss Army Belts. If you want to buy things cheap which will last years, till you discard them because you got bored, Swiss Army is the way to go.

I now wear a Ralph Lauren which my wife gifted. The leather has aged beautifully, but the buckle has developed a patina of which I don’t like, so possibly I would change it soon.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Does it come in black?
Yes, and all in sizes up to 56”.

The Amish at Dunnegan I see do not wear blue jeans or belts. They wear hand sewn pants with suspenders.

They are strictly horse and buggy so there’s a large demand for harness, saddles and tack.

The saddle and harness shops use nothing but Hermann Oak leather.

But a three or four foot 1 1/2” piece of Hermann Oak costs so much there’s no market for it. Instead the shops buy pre buckled four foot sections of artificial leather and cut them to length for the customer. There are no fat Amish men under age 70. They work as hard as our great grandfathers did and eat as hearty as they like.

And all the custom slaughterhouses have to bury all the hog and beef hides they process.

My $20 belt is NOT Hermann Oak (or it would say so) but it’s high quality full grain heavy stitched cowhide leather.

How can they turn a profit handling and shipping all those orders?

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I bought a similar one at Bob's Stores for about $26.00. Its a good belt. Another good one is the 1 1/2 inch Police Belt with the embossed/pressed basket weave pattern I got at a Police uniform store for about $25.00. Real basket weave is more expensive. They maintain their shape are made from bull hide. I've had both for several years. No complaints. Enjoy yours !

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I looked up leather production and China, Brazil, Italy, Russia, and India are the top five nations.

Tanning hides is a nasty business.

My slaughterhouse clients claim the big four huge packers in the USA ship raw hides to China and they are tanned on floating factories just outside the 12 mile limit in the Gulf of Mexico or off the coasts.

I’ll bet my belt was made in the USA of leather tanned someplace else.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Looks like you can't change the buckle out, too bad, I've got some nice buckles...

I've got a Carhartt belt which has lasted very well.