PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
Virginia now has a proposed House Bill (HB93) mimicking that of Massachusetts: the sale or distribution of flavored tobacco products prohibited; civil penalty. Prohibits the sale or distribution of flavored tobacco products, defined in the bill, and creates a civil penalty of $1,000 for a first offense and $5,000 for a second or subsequent offense.

Things are looking bad for the commonwealth after the recent raising of the tobacco age requirement.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can understand keeping junior high and high school kids from getting hooked on vaping by sugary flavored capsules. The intent may be well meant. As legislation goes, this sounds like a blunt trauma weapon. I don't see school kids taking up pipe smoking in general. That could be addressed if it happened in a wide cross section, as does vaping, but it hasn't. Legislation should be surgical enough to address the problems that exist, and not those that don't. Laws shouldn't be a bouquet of unintended consequences. Is the idea to get the public to do legislators' will, or to address actual problems at hand?

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
I can understand keeping junior high and high school kids from getting hooked on vaping by sugary flavored capsules. The intent may be well meant. As legislation goes, this sounds like a blunt trauma weapon. I don't see school kids taking up pipe smoking in general. That could be addressed if it happened in a wide cross section, as does vaping, but it hasn't. Legislation should be surgical enough to address the problems that exist, and not those that don't. Laws shouldn't be a bouquet of unintended consequences. Is the idea to get the public to do legislators' will, or to address actual problems at hand?
These points were almost the exact points that I addressed in my letters to my state senator and representative. We’ll see what happens.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I have noticed these things are easier to push through in commonwealths and states that have a high low income state funded health care burden. It’s easy for them to say “well, since we the state carry the cost of your healthcare we will pass laws to stop your tobacco use. Therefore saving the state millions”. Just an observation from an outsider

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I don't see school kids taking up pipe smoking in general. That could be addressed if it happened

It's already illegal for minors to purchase tobacco. End of issue. Nothing more is required.

Using children as the reason for this type of legislation is pure BS and I can't imagine how anyone could actually believe that is the true impetus behind it.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Now there's a genuine threat to the healthy development of children and their future quality of life...the government school system. IMO.

Funny how it almost always seems to be the case that the children of those "in power" attend private schools.

True that!

And what’s up with their ungodly lifespan? No smoking I’m sure ;)

Reactions: kurtbob

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Even scarier than certain states banning flavored tobacco is the current federal bill working its way thru congress which seeks to eliminate internet tobacco sales altogether.

• Sad
Reactions: diamondback
Status
Not open for further replies.