PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
Hey yall. I am new to this site as well as fairly new to pipe smoking only one great year. i have recently acquired a love for the look of most freehand pipes but i can not for the life of me figure out why they are called freehand. I have searched the internet and your forums already and still have no idea the closest i can figure is it has something to do with the carving of the pipe. if any of you could tell me what makes a pipe a freehand i would love to know.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Welcome to the Forum!.....I think this has something to do with the fact that the freehand pipes are not the "classic" shapes. If this is not correct, someone will come along shortly to render the proper explanation.... :lol:

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
well that makes sense. Thank you for the quick response and the welcome.

directshot

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2010
Believe hilojohnny nailed the answer on this one.
Welcome to the forum fshu2.... from another new member. This is a great forum!!

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Freehand pipes generally refer to pipes made by hand. Sometimes it also refers to pipes made by machine, but finished by hand, but this isn't the strict interpretation.
The wood grain and flow of the grain is the primary criteria for determining the shape of the pipe, plus the carver's skill and imagination. Machine made pipes, in the classic shapes, are all pattern pipes and tend to look alike. Freehands are single creations.
Some times they can be finished smooth and other times the rough plateaux of the briar is left on the shank or bowl.
In my mind....no country out carved the Danes. The names of their carvers are legends in the pipe making world.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Here are some freehands I already have photos of.
BenWadeSpiralMedium.jpg

PH1Medium.jpg

gw1Medium-1.jpg

heather1Medium.jpg

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
IMHO I agree with Mlaug, and I might add that the actual cutting of the briar into a non classic shape is done without the aid of jigs or in some cases drawing on the block.

The pipe is cut usually on a band-saw and held by hand. Thus the artistic quality of "free forming" is expressed. e.g.

bjarneflamegrainrt-1-600x449.jpg

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Freehand pipes are like freehand drawings -- or just what johnny said.
welcome to the forum also.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
thanks a lot yall, those were great answers and some beautiful pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.