PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I just received a phishing email that claimed to be from ebay. The message is entitled "MC168 NOTICE: eBay Registration Suspension - User Agreement", but they have used other forms in the past. These were quite common 4 or 5 years ago but seem to have lessened lately.
The message begins:
"Dear valued customer,
As part of eBay's security efforts, your account has been suspended pending additional account verification. To appeal this suspension, please go to:" and gives a hyperlink to click on.
DON'T!
Any legitimate message from ebay will use your ebay ID, not something like "valued customer". Also, any legitimate message will appear in the Messages section online, so if you have any doubts, log in to ebay and check there.
If you get one of these, don't use any link inside the message, just forward it to:
spoof@ebay.com

daveleitz

Lurker
Jun 21, 2010
Good advice! I used to get these a lot too. When I first received one of these, I had the sense to check the URL of the link to see if it really went back to the official Ebay website. Always log in directly at the official web page (either type in the URL yourself, or use your browser bookmark) and never from a link in an email.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I fell for one of those a few years ago,...it looked like a legitimate letter from Ebay informing me that there was a charge made yesterday to my PayPal account that looked strange and gave me a box to fill in my name and password to negate the charge.

I filled in my name and password, and as I clicked on the "send" I realized as the screen changed there had been no little security lock emblem up in the top right hand corner and that I had just given their computer access to my credit cards and checking account.

A few quick phone calls and I got it all straightened out, but it was kinda scary.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
When I was using eBay several years ago, I used to get spam from their PayPal unit almost on a weekly basis phishing for personal info. They used to have the bogus "your bid won and the seller is waiting for payment, please submit your payment along with your logon and password and we will help ourselves to your credit card/checking account" crap back then.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Just so y'all are aware...
Whenever you get a suspicious email from ebay or Paypal, just forward it to:

spoof@ebay.com

spoof@paypal.com
This will alert ebay or Paypal, so that they can take appropriate action.
Just an FYI...
-Jason

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
That's what I do as well Jason.

These guys really aren't very smart.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Always did that when I was selling a lot there. Best to keep them aware of all the phishing going on to possibly get a handle on at least some of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.