Fold and Stuff: Who Does It ? What's The Trick ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Lol Kevin!
@ Mick, rcstan got it right. My big Meer and a Ciro pot I have work best for flakes. Some pipes just make better flake pipes than others.

jp12

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2012
@kevin - That's a really great idea! We should really look into that. :rofl:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
In contemplating your OP, I decided to have some MacB Navy Flake while walking the dog. I used my Longchamp Bulldog, which I've never before used for flake. I folded the flake into halves until it looked like a bundle of sticks about as wide as the bowl. I placed the bundle into the bowl with the ends of the "sticks" up. Then I tamped the ends flat and topped with rubbed flakes and then crumbs, as always. The flakes are very dry, I might add. The hardest part is to not tamp more, because the draw feels wrong! I did my usual light-tamp-light, but with flakes, I tamp again and seat the tobacco after I light. You can see the tobacco expand and after seating the tobacco the draw, at last, feels normal. Had a good smoke and no relights even though the dog went after a rabbit.

Jul 15, 2011
Never been a fan of the fold and stuff myself. I've tried it a few times at different moisture levels and I just can't get it to burn quite right. There aren't a whole lot of flake tobaccos that I smoke anyway, so for me it's not really a huge issue.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I fold and stuff coin shaped tobacco, occasionally ill do it with flakes, but I never have much luck.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I would hate to be the counter point here, but I enjoy the fold and stuff method best on a tall and narrow pipe. I use the same technique from the MacBaren website, and enjoy Penzance, Wessex Burley Slice, and Orlick Golden Slices in this fashion. I have a dedicated Dr. Grabow pickaxe for Penzance, and use a Missouri Meerschaum 5th Avenue for the Wessex and the Orlick. THe tobacco stays lit, burns slowly, and seems more intensly flavorful against trying to smoke them in an wide shallow bowl. That being said, the Wessex, at least, is most tasty when rubbed out and smoked in a wide, shallow bowl, and I do use it that way, along with Edgeworth Ready Rub match, in several pots that I have. By all means: viva la difference.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
@Kevin: What is that site thou references kind Sir ? And what is this witchcraft that shows moving images via that Tube of Yours ? :rofl:
@Rigmedic:

I've watched Bob's videos again and again, and some others I could find out there, read all the advice I could. Have tried several different pipes, including a straight narrow bowl'd Stanwell Billiard with a little under a 3/4 inch diameter.... and yet, fold and stuff just doesn't seem to work as smoothly for me as rub out or cube cutting the flakes. As I keep preaching to myself, practice, practice, practice :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.