PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I picked up a handful of pipes last week and am now the owner of a pair of burners with acrylic stems. These are my first acrylic stems and I'm curious as to their maintenance needs.
What's the best way to care for them, folks? Will they discolor like Vulcanite? Will I need to use my micro mesh pads on them? Oil? Wax?
Thanks.
Fnord

quaffer

Lurker
Sep 8, 2012
No, they do not discolor like vulcanite and require no maintenance, other then keeping them clean and clear of gunk. That's why I greatly prefer acrylic over vulcanite and makers that use it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Vulcanite stems are a bit softer then acrylic, so some guys find 'em easier to clench. But, as quaffer pointed out, acrylic does not discolor.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I really like to options of color acrylic stems offer and they are much easier to maintain. They are much harder on the teeth (as Jud pointed out) so I have recently started using the soft bits on them. I am not much of a clencher so these work for me.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
I prefer vulcanite but it does require maintenance and I don't clench those stems (most of mine are estates that were too hard to get pristine!). I do have a few acrylic stem pipes that I like for walking around and clenching they are pretty indestructable.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I personally don't mind Acrylic... I have several and I actually enjoy the no maintenance aspect... also I am a clencher and the hard stem doesn't bother me one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.