PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrsower

Lurker
Jun 13, 2020
Southeast United States
Been trying to win a vintage Nimrod pipe lighter on eBay but no luck. While I’m still working on that I decided to pull the trigger on a China made replica just for the heck of it.
Took it about three weeks and arrived at the house today.
It’s actually pretty nice. But I’ve got a question for anyone who might know.
A YouTube video I watched said you can use the flint from a basic Bic lighter but it’s too thick for my “nimrod”.
Are there thinner diameter flints that I can buy for it?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Been trying to win a vintage Nimrod pipe lighter on eBay but no luck. While I’m still working on that I decided to pull the trigger on a China made replica just for the heck of it.
Took it about three weeks and arrived at the house today.
It’s actually pretty nice. But I’ve got a question for anyone who might know.
A YouTube video I watched said you can use the flint from a basic Bic lighter but it’s too thick for my “nimrod”.
Are there thinner diameter flints that I can buy for it?
20210814_150522.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yup. About three days and time to reload. Caveat; keep them clean or else the flint will freeze into the tube and be damned near impossible to extract.
Frozen flints are caused by moisture, spring compression and time. I've seen that happen with lighters that haven't been touched for decades but I bought mine in the '90s NOS and have never done anything to it but fuel it up and replace the flint. With regular use, a flint will freely move but if the lighter is going to be placed in storage for long periods of time, the flint should be removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.