PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
So I bought an estate pipe at an antique store recently for a pretty good price. I cleaned it up and make it all nice and everything is perfect....almost. The stem doesnt quite fit right into the shank. at first i thought it might be due to age, but then the more i think about it, i think it might be missing one of those little silver bands. I was just curious if anyone has any ideas about how i could either get a new band for it, or maybe make the stem fit without the band. ill attach a picture. thanks a lot!
IMG_6049.jpg

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
That most likely is not the original stem, it just doesn't look quite right. You might make it fit by shortening the tenon, if you don't want to do that look for old Biro's that have rings on them, you might find one that will do the job.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I think you are dead on about the metal spacer. Go to your local hardware store with a section for all of us McGivers that has all the bolts, bobs, and washers in pull out drawers. Find a white nylon washer that is a close fit. The inside hole should fit or be smaller, and the outside you can file to match. It is a cheap experiment that will only cost you a little time and a few cents.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Is it a push in stem? Got a pic with the stem removed,closeup of the mortise and very end of shank? Make sure the mortise is thoroughly clean. Sometime gunk can build up there and keep the tenon from going all the way in.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Looks to me like a build up of crud in the mortice. Carefully scrape the bottom of the mortice to see if that's the trouble. The best way I know of to remove that kind of problem is with a retort. The boiling alcohol works wonders.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
I second a retort. I had a great old Italian pipe that had a stem that wouldn't go in. Fixed it very nicely. turned a great pipe into a terrific pipe.

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
Thanks guys!

today i went in and cleaned everything out. there was all sorts of gunk in there that i guess i had missed in my initial fixing up. I also sanded down the bottom of the stem a bit till I got a perfect fit. I've gotta say it looks great now! I cant wait till it comes around in the rotation and I can give it a smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.