PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

chasethorn

Lurker
Apr 5, 2013
Thought I might as well share my first time going to a Tobacconist! I went to a local B&M (Am I using that term correctly?) and it was very pleasant. The man did not treat me any different than he would a regular person, the reason I say this is because I am a rather small 18 year old kid with the face of a preteen, who also does not look like the type of person to smoke a pipe.
I picked up some OGS and he also recommended I try some mcclelland 5100 red cake. I have not tried these yet but the Red Cake smells amazing! This shop also has a tobacco room that has a flat price of $6.50 for 44gram of all tobaccos. (I think that is a good deal!) I am just happy I found a place that has a HUGE variation of everything from pipes to cigars to hard to find pipe tobaccos!

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Lucky guy! I had the same experience in 1960 with a man named Fred Diebel in Kansas City, one of the old time great tobacconists and pipemakers. He gently guided me along, and I still think often and fondly of him. Hope your experience is as positive as mine was. Welcome to the world of pipe smoking! Incidentally, what city was this, and who is the tobacconist?

chasethorn

Lurker
Apr 5, 2013
It is located in the Colorado Springs area and is called Stag Tobacconist. I was highly impressed by the selection they had of everything! Their website does no justice to how great this place is.

etsisbull

Lurker
Apr 3, 2013
I am a rather small 18 year old kid with the face of a preteen, who also does not look like the type of person to smoke a pipe
Story of my life, only I'm 23 haha. Sounds like you had a good time at your local B&M. Sounds better than any stores here in my town.
--ETS

chasethorn

Lurker
Apr 5, 2013
Being short sucks doesn't it? haha
We'll I tried out the Red cake, and I must say, It was tasty stuff! A little bitey at first but then it burned smooth and the flavor lasted the whole time! Now I have to try the OGS tomorrow. Excited for that!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Congratulations on your positive experience. Sounds like you've got a good store to help you in your journey. That's invaluable.

ryanpblyth

Lurker
Apr 8, 2013
Sounds like a great shop! I went to a tobacconist for my first time yesterday (or at least first time since picking up the pipe) and they were not nearly as helpful. By the way - B&M stands for brick and mortar, so your use of it is correct. I'll be in Colorado sometime this summer, though I'm not sure I'll make it to the Springs on this trip - but I'll try to make it to that shop if I can.

I too am plagued with looking like a teen - at 27. My only saving grace is I can grow a decent beard!

The 6.50/44g is a little on the high side from my experience, but not remarkably so - getting good help is often worth the price. Most of the bulk I see is $3 - $4 /1oz(28g), but my state (Louisiana) has pretty low tobacco tax as far as I know.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
I used to call on Stag when I worked for Savinelli. They are a great tobacconist. An amazing store and a great selection. You will enjoy your time there.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I can't get any popular blends in tins at my B&M the've got about 20lbs of bunch of "shop blends" in huge jars, but I like a few of those at least. And the guy there will let me fill a bowl of something to try for the ride home as long as I'm there for my usual pick up. Probably trying to get me to tack on another 2oz of the stuff lol... Glad you have a good tobacconist to go to. Happy smoking!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It sounds like you found a great shop! $6.50 for 44 grams is a pretty good deal and a good way to find out what you like without breaking the bank. Welcome to the forum! (wow, lots of new guys recently, great news)

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
Ive had nothing but good experiences with Stag Tobacconist of Albuquerque NM, not sure if they are related

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
Sounds like you have a great local shop. I envy those with great b&M shops close to them that have super knowledgeable staff members. It's a luxury that just doesn't exist much around here (at least that I have found), and I live in the capitol city of my state!

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I'm almost 20 now, I was 18 when I first went into a B&M. They looked at me a bit odd but once they saw me looking through all the pipes intently, they knew I wasn't just some kid looking for a drug pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.