PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Brig

Lurker
Jun 23, 2024
New England
I have traditionally just smoked what I could find locally, which has largely been what you find in glass jars at cigar shops, so I haven't really had a chance to find a favorite regular "go-to" brand. Now I'm looking to branch out and find a few favorites so I ordered a few online.

I figured I'd get a few 2 ouncers and jar half, then see how I liked them fresh and how I liked them after a month or two. I got a bunch of 4oz jars after reading that it's generally it's a 1oz tobacco:4oz jar space ratio, but turns out it's closer to 1:2.

I read that Haunted Bookshop is a love it or leave it type tobacco. Haven't smoked it yet, but the scent seems subtle. I've also read this one particularly benefits from jarring.

Looking forward to this science experiment and hopefully finding a favorite or two!
thumbnail (75).jpeg

thumbnail (76).jpeg

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
An excellent first online order selection! All of those blends except for 7 Seas Royal are personal favorites of mine and I hope that you enjoy them just as much as I do! 👍

I think you'll find that all of the blends will improve significantly in both aroma and flavor after about 2 weeks in a jar.

Reactions: Brig

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Great choices! Haunted Bookshop is one of my favorites. I agree that it does benefit greatly from a couple months in a jar. Very strong though.
I have a few of the 7 Seas line that I quite enjoy. Be warned you might have to dry it out before smoking. Sometimes they can be a bit moist. And if you do find a 7 Seas you like, I'd recommend trying the Captain Black version, the colors will match, due to the possibility of 7 Seas getting harder to find in the future.

Have fun on your adventure! If you don't find your favorites here, there's still hundreds of other blends to try.

Reactions: Brig

Brig

Lurker
Jun 23, 2024
New England
Great choices! Haunted Bookshop is one of my favorites. I agree that it does benefit greatly from a couple months in a jar. Very strong though.
I have a few of the 7 Seas line that I quite enjoy. Be warned you might have to dry it out before smoking. Sometimes they can be a bit moist. And if you do find a 7 Seas you like, I'd recommend trying the Captain Black version, the colors will match, due to the possibility of 7 Seas getting harder to find in the future.

Have fun on your adventure! If you don't find your favorites here, there's still hundreds of other blends to try.

I've noticed the Autumn Evening is probably going to need some drying, as well.

Why is 7 Seas facing scarcity?

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I think you made a really good decision in getting a tin of Nightcap. Every pipe smoker should at least try the classic Nightcap. Go ahead and get some Early Morning Pipe while you’re at it. If you like Latakia, look into Gl Pease as well. You just opened up a whole new world by going online. I hope you’re ready…

Reactions: kcghost and Brig

RL Bucktails

Lurker
Apr 23, 2024
Pascack Valley

I really like haunted bookshop as well. The first time I smoked it I really didn’t like it so I let it sit. Second time was a charm and it’s one of my favorites now.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
It's so much fun learning to taste tobacco from a pipe and sampling the amazing variety of blends available.
I didn't get anything with Latakia for about 2 or 3 months into my initial foray. I brought in some Newminster 52, I think it was, about 4 oz or so, and I could smell it before I opened the box! I was laughing my ass of at the smell it brought. I did find it tolerable. Eventually of course I tried many other so called English or Latakia blends. Nightcap when Dunhill produced it amongst them. It was really tasty.
I've got some of Sutliff's Match equivalent now. It's called "Late Evening". I've been exploring many of the Match series and haven't found a bad one so far.

SmokingInTheWind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
I think you made a really good decision in getting a tin of Nightcap. Every pipe smoker should at least try the classic Nightcap. Go ahead and get some Early Morning Pipe while you’re at it. If you like Latakia, look into Gl Pease as well. You just opened up a whole new world by going online. I hope you’re ready…
Yes, good advice. I would recommend getting a tin of My Mixture 965 as well. It is a good blend that is in between Nightcap and Early Morning Pipe for Latakia level. I bought all three when starting out and found that I liked MM 965 the best.

Brig

Lurker
Jun 23, 2024
New England
Just tried the 7 Seas and am happy to report I did not need to dry it out, though I should check the jar to be sure since it may have dried a bit in the bag thesr past couple days.