PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winston

Lurker
Aug 16, 2010
I recently purchased some tins I am still new to this.
McClelland 221B series Black Shag had a bowl of it last night very nice,

McClelland Holiday Spirit 2010, and Orlik Golden Sliced. I haven't tried the last 2 yet hopefully they are good. I believe that I enjoy the English blends I have gotten some from my local B&M.

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
Orlik Golden slices remains one of my favorite and regularly smoked tobaccos. I have not smoked the Holiday Spirit 2010 although I did get some of Peterson's Holiday Season 2010 and like it very much.
Looks like you are choosing wisely!!

casper223

Lurker
Nov 20, 2010
I asked my Tobacconist about the pipe tins, when I first bought tobbacco for my pipe, His words were something like this "Try our Bulk Tobbacco, aquire a taste for it, It's nice and smooth, very little bite, The Tins house an English blend of tobbacco, Not very Aromatic, and really rough on the palet of a new pipe smoker, I doubt unless your just hard core, that you would like any of it". Since this conversation i've never bought tinned tobacco. Is this a True or False statement? In life always when getting advise, I try to figure out first if there's an angle to the advise, Could it be a Tobacconist makes more profit from blending in his retail store, or was he giving valuable advise? Can you seasoned pipe smokers please lend a little insight to what he may have been talking about? Again I've never tried any in following his advise.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
I have no idea, but sometimes I like to go against the caution, I may have said to him, "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED" and pumped my fist into the air with excitement as I purchased a tin.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm guessing that it has less to do with profit margins and more to do with his personal preferences.

People tend to recommend what they like, with little regard for the customer's issues.

For example, I would never recommend an aromatic to a totally new smoker, with the possible exception

of 1-Q (which is an atypical blend anyway); and I probably would recommend a light Latakia or Balkan even though

I rarely touch the stuff myself. I would love to have a newbie experience the delight of a bright, racy Va flake,

but the reality is a new smoker's palate probably wouldn't appreciate it, and his interest would wane

long before the lights went on.

casper223

Lurker
Nov 20, 2010
called my old tabacconist today in Florida, asked for a pound of my favorite smoke, bulk blend he calls Royalty, He says $50.00 plus shipping,I ask What The Heck? He says Tobacco is $28 and change, $10 or $12 Shipping he wasn't exactly sure the rest was new Florida Tobacco Tax, so I backed up and walked away, even though he understood. How can anyone run a business, and supply an industry with Taxes like that?
I read on here about ya'll smoking a Tin named NightCap, and when I read up on it, it described a nice Room Note, Great Flavor, Mild Smoke, sounds enticing, I guess that's why I asked about the Tobacco Tins, and explained what my old Tobacconist said about Tins being Harsh Tasting, Offering Tongue Bite and no Aroma, Suggested I stay away from them. Guess the next order I make, will include a Tin. I've never smoked any out of a Tin before, but I Love, a Mild, Sweet blend with a nice RoomNote. Makes my wife smile, Keeps me out of the DogHouse.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I never heard of tins being characteristically more harsh than bulk; and anyway, that's inconsistent

with my personal experience. If anything, tins -- especially tins that have been on the shelf anywhere

from 6 months to 20 years, should be smoother and more delectable. No offense intended, but unless

he's talking about cheap aromatics (cased White Burley), I think your old tobacconist is screwy.
[Memo to self: Well, that should piss-off about have the forum members!] :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.