Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Ranger, that's a brilliant idea, although it'd still be worried about that chamber left behind the bone.
I thought about that....but considering that I spent $4 on the pipe, I figure if it is an epic fail, I'll just rip it out of there, and be back at square one. :lol:
A drilled wooden dowel will be effort #2.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Interesting, but why glue it? After all, the idea of a filter is to serve there purpose, and then be discarded after they get foul. Then again, perhaps I'm misunderstanding just exactly what you did and it can easily be removed after a few smokes.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
@ phil:
Actually, that's a good point. It wouldn't really have to be permanently affixed at all. It would become a bone "filter," who's purpose was not to filter, but tighten the draw. Thanks for bringing an easy solution to this knuckledragger! :lol: You rock!

Rincewind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
I have been using the Savinelli balsa inserts for quite some time in all my MM cobs. They are not really a filter in the strictest since but rather an insert that is great at absorbing moisture. I find I never have to use a pipe cleaner during a smoke and there is minimal or no residue after the smoke. I also find it does not mute the flavor like a paper filter does and also helps reduce the wide open draw to normal. It also keeps the occasional bit of hot ash out of your mouth and also seems to take away the bite of some tobaccos. So I have tried no filters, the paper filters, as is or cutting them in half, bits of bent pipe cleaners, the Savinelli adapters, etc. but the balsa inserts get my vote in all my MM cobs which are the pipes I smoke exclusively these days.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
I've never smoked a MM with anything other than a forever stem and have never used their filter ... my son, who is otherwise not the filter type, uses the paper filter in his cobs and says he likes it that way ... guess it's like so many other things in life, a matter of personal preference ...
msandoval858 ... I am going to steal that sweater quote from you ... that's the highlight of this thread ...

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Since cobs smoke so easy and when you learn to pack it right, filters are not needed if you don't pull on it to hard. As you get down to the bottom is when that will happen cause you want to keep it going.Some time you just need to know when its done and dump it.If you like the draw with the filter any BM will sell Medico filter on the cheap.

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
In my experience, I have found that the filter will alter the taste, heat, and draw of the smoke. Now, deponding on the tobacco, this can either be welcomed or not. For instance, if I am smoking a bowl of the McClelland Darkest Caramel, I use the filter. But I it's Molto Dolce in my pipe, I don't. My advise is that you should experiement with different tobaccos and the use of the filters and see if what you like best.

jimmyh

Lurker
Feb 6, 2014
I recommend using Savinellis adapter if you find the draw to be to open. I use it in my 3 Prides and it works like a charm, perfect draw and no issues using a pipecleaner.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
+1 drhuff. I prefer the 6mm balsa filters in my filter cobs. They work great.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
+1 @ravkesef
Way I look at the quotation sfsteves wants to borrow is from rangerearthpig is, sometimes I want the things I put in my mouth to be cool and dry; other times I want 'em wet and tingling my tongue. There may be good reasons to keep that top on.
Some breasts are better sweater off, but others with them on.

Best know how to enjoy them all, or miss a shot when given one.

Quote that. :)
@OP - Either way, with or without, enjoy your cob! (Me, I tend to smoke mine without the filter more than with. I like them with the filter slightly more, but I don't like dealing with the filter. That, and I'm very lazy.)

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I use balsa filters in my Savinelli's and Medico filters in my cobs. I like both types of filters as I think it help cools the smoke. I've never noticed any difference in taste from a pipe with a filter compared to the same tobacco in a pipe without a filter. I mainly use filters in my cobs, because the draft hole is so big I hate sucking up bits of tobacco or ash. It drives me crazy, so the filter helps prevent that from happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.