PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
Here is my first attempt at restoring life to an old meerschaum pipe. I'll be honest, when it first arrived, my heart dropped a bit when I realized the old stem was supper glued in and it was in much rougher condition that its original photos indicated. Since all I have are hand tools, the process was slow, which was probably a good thing. I don't know anything about its age or providence, but I've grown attached to this pipe while working on it. The marks visible in the last photo are inclusions or flecks in the meerschaum not gouges or scratches. "New pipe" isn't what I'm usually going for. It somehow doesn't seem quite right to erase all of the history. Hopefully I kept some of the history feel of this pipe while easing it of some of the abuse of time.

On arrival
20240808_175307.jpg

Midway

20240809_190320.jpg

New stem and waxed

20240811_114335.jpg

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
Thanks, I've been debating on a good length for the stem. The stummel is actually a bit massive and this stem is something I had on hand. I'll probably have to try a few before I settle on something.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
Great job! You've managed to balance the removal of grime and muck, but kept the character of the pipe intact.

I love the colour of that stem, and I think it suits that pipe wonderfully. I will have to agree and say that, at least to my eye, a shorter, thicker stem would match the bowl.

Either way, great work!
Thanks! The stem is 7" with a 17mm radius at the base. Hopefully I can find something shorter with a great enough radius to still work.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I like what you’ve done very much!
The stem that came with it wasn’t original either, IMO. That looks more like an amber stem pipe. So I think the stem you chose is pretty good. There are a good number of egg in hand antiques that come up on ebay. If you watch antique meerschaums there you’ll get a feel for what the original stems are like.
The silver rim embellishment is particularly nice.
Super nice work!

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
I like what you’ve done very much!
The stem that came with it wasn’t original either, IMO. That looks more like an amber stem pipe. So I think the stem you chose is pretty good. There are a good number of egg in hand antiques that come up on ebay. If you watch antique meerschaums there you’ll get a feel for what the original stems are like.
The silver rim embellishment is particularly nice.
Super nice work!
Thanks for your input! You are right, the stem it came with wasn't original, it was even super glued in. I'm taking your advice and looking up images of egg in hand pipes. Meerschaum Market has similar stems that I'm seeing with the largest base diameter of 18mm. The flare of the shank of the stummel is close to 35mm.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Thanks! The stem is 7" with a 17mm radius at the base. Hopefully I can find something shorter with a great enough radius to still work.
You mean diameter?

I like black,

But they’ve got what you’ve got too:

I doubt a stem matching the entire width of the shank, at most hitting the point of curvature at the top edge of shank would be design.

Reactions: Lost Somnambulist

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
You mean diameter?

I like black,

But they’ve got what you’ve got too:

I doubt a stem matching the entire width of the shank, at most hitting the point of curvature at the top edge of shank would be design.
Yup, absolutely meant diameter. I like the black as well, just wish it was maybe an inch or so longer, that one is 3.5 in. I'll post a photo with a 3.5 in stem and see what folks think. The round stem will look more substantial than the style in your second link.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Here is the pipe with a 3.5 inch stem and 15mm diameter. A similar style stem is available with an 18mm diameter base and about 4 inch length.

View attachment 329562
I think an 18mm smooth ~4.5” long would set that off very nicely.
Calabashpipesworld.com does note in their descriptions: If you need any other size,you can send us a message,we will try to help to get the size you want!!

By the way, the cleanup turned out very nice! I think black would complement it very well, but as biker I may be prejudiced😆

Reactions: Lost Somnambulist

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
I think an 18mm smooth ~4.5” long would set that off very nicely.
Calabashpipesworld.com does note in their descriptions: If you need any other size,you can send us a message,we will try to help to get the size you want!!

By the way, the cleanup turned out very nice! I think black would complement it very well, but as biker I may be prejudiced😆
I might just send them a message and see what that come back with. I'm finding that one of the positives about a project like this is that I can try what ever I want to. I put it up here to hoping for more perspective, so it's much appreciated.