PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
What is used to fill in the maker's mark, (mmm good whiskey), sorry....what is used to fill in that little depression on the stem in order to high-light the manufacturer's emblem? Let's say "Petersons" in particular.
I was going to try that crayon I have up in the attic somewhere that bowlers use to fill in the etchings on bowling balls but decided to ask first.
With an armload of old estate pipes to restore I figured it was time to find out what other's are using.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
For colors other than white you may consider furniture touch-up crayons. Neat way to "customize" your pipe. Just rub it on and polish off the excess.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Thanks for the tip using White-Out. This morning I worked on a pipe that Mr. Wallbright was kind enough to send me last week which had the “G” and the “Italy” stampings on the stem do the usual “self fill-n” act that happens when you bleach one.

I used a jewelers loupe and one of those tiny “eyeglasses screwdrivers” to re-chase the two stampings till they were deep enough to hold the White-Out.

After scrubbing them out with an old toothbrush and some Everclear, I laid on three thin coats of the stuff, leveled it off with some 800 grit and buffed.
I’m gonna try that white crayon that’s in my bowling bag they sell to fill in Ebonite bowling ball logos and see how that works. Better I think, cause it just rubs in and wipes off with a rag.
Before;
100_0592e.jpg

After;
100_0618.jpg

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Thank you, I thought it came out pretty nice for my first attempt...but in all fairness Mr. Wallbright had already bleached it once.
The stem is out of an Italian R. Gasparini.
*edit* Oh and the "bowling ball crayon" thing did not work on a Peterson logo. It buffed right back out.

Status
Not open for further replies.