Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ceriano

Lurker
Feb 18, 2023
USA
These are the blends I have tried so far. Are there any other great VA tobaccos out there that I'm missing?

Orlik - pretty much my favorite and daily smoker
Samuel Gawith Full VA Flake - I wanted to love this blend but no matter how much I let it dry it was still too wet and also got a tongue bite. I have some that been sitting for 8 years I may try this weekend see if it's got any better.
Dunhill Flake - More pricy than orlik but great blend
McClelland - Christmas Cheer - I have a few tins in my cellar. just a special occasion tobacco at this point.
Esoterica - Dochester, Dunbar, Peacehaven, Tilbury. Have a few tins from each, again special occasion tobacco.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Didn't we just have a discussion about this? (I'd look, but it's early and I'm not that functional yet.)

For readily available, daily Virginia blends, Amphora Virginia, Sutliff Virginia Slices (507-C), and Low Country Natural Virginia, are very hard to beat. For something a bit pricier, there's always Capstan, either Flake or Ready Rubbed. Having just revisited Capstan Yellow, I have to say that I prefer Blue.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Maybe we should have a sticky's for "Your 3 favorite (VA, VA/PER, Burley, etc) tobacco." Another forum had a list of the top 10 VA's, the ranking was sort of crowd sourced converging on an list that most seemed happy with, though it took 10 pages of content to get there.rotf

To the OP, take a look at TobaccoReview.com. There you can sort by blend type and peruse all of the VA's (there are many) in the database, they come with rankings and descriptions to assist you in future selections.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I am really partial to Newminster 400, C&D Yorktown, Mac Baren HH Pure Va, C&D Opening Night for pure Va's ...Orlik Golden Sliced and PS LNF are probably my favorite VaPers.

I tend to agree with FVF - that stuff barely wants to burn even when it's crispy; I don't know what I am doing wrong, I am usually able to get great, subtle flavors and an even burn with most blends - think there must be a golidlocks zone w this one.

Reactions: Servant King
Jun 9, 2018
England
If you're lucky enough to live in the USA you've got a great selection of Virginias to choose from. Unfortunately the choice is nowhere near as big in the UK but I have got a fair selection of US tobaccos in the cellar.

My favourites at the moment are:

Mcclelland Christmas Cheer
Germain's Brown Flake
Germain's Medium Flake
Gawith Dark XX Plug
Gawith Westmorland Slices
Sam Gawith English Summer Flake
Full Virginia Plug
Kendal Plug
Golden Glow

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I tend to agree with FVF - that stuff barely wants to burn even when it's crispy; I don't know what I am doing wrong, I am usually able to get great, subtle flavors and an even burn with most blends - think there must be a golidlocks zone w this one.
I find it burns great when I realize I need to use the bathroom, or I'm being summoned to do something else.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
These are the blends I have tried so far. Are there any other great VA tobaccos out there that I'm missing?

Orlik - pretty much my favorite and daily smoker
Samuel Gawith Full VA Flake - I wanted to love this blend but no matter how much I let it dry it was still too wet and also got a tongue bite. I have some that been sitting for 8 years I may try this weekend see if it's got any better.
Dunhill Flake - More pricy than orlik but great blend
McClelland - Christmas Cheer - I have a few tins in my cellar. just a special occasion tobacco at this point.
Esoterica - Dochester, Dunbar, Peacehaven, Tilbury. Have a few tins from each, again special occasion tobacco.
Due to changes in the Virginias I'd take the Esoterica blends off the list. Pre 2020 they were still good.

Germain's Brown Flake is a wonderful smoke - again pre 2020, SG Best Brown, Wessex Campaign Dark - again look for older tins, pre 2019 to get the actual blend. Sutliff's Cringle Flake is an excellent Red though it's been a Va/Per for the last couple of releases. C&D Yorktown is worth a look.

It's hard for me to recommend any current releases of blends that have been around for years as I don't know what is being snuck into the tins these days.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I find it burns great when I realize I need to use the bathroom, or I'm being summoned to do something else.
Yup all the Sam Gawith or G&H ropes seem too smoke best right before you have to put the pipe down. When you have all the time in the world they take that time and tell you "better luck next time" lol