PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho

welcome to a rabbit hole if you are up for it
English, Balkan, Scottish ?
I enjoy orientals with or without Lat and have been checking out Turkish types too but that’s a whole nother novel

Reactions: jwesthurl

stearmandriver

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2018
It took me a while when I started smoking a pipe to understand that the flavors I really loved in my favorite blends were from the oriental and not latakia. I DO also really enjoy latakia, but I'm an orienta nut haha.

There are so many good ones that have already been mentioned, but some of my absolute favorites are White Knight, and especially Peretti's Royal, Tashkent, and Oriental 40 (also Cambridge flake but that's not necessarily oriental forward). All of those contain latakia, but it's condimental and only seems to enhance the Orientals. So since you enjoy some latakia anyway, I'd really recommend these.

Reactions: vosBghos

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
There are so many good ones that have already been mentioned, but some of my absolute favorites are White Knight, and especially Peretti's Royal, Tashkent, and Oriental 40 (also Cambridge flake but that's not necessarily oriental forward). All of those contain latakia, but it's condimental and only seems to enhance the Orientals. So since you enjoy some latakia anyway, I'd really recommend these.
I really like Tashkent and have a little on hand!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You have got to be the first person to ever complain about someone getting off topic.
Said nothing of going off topic, just pointing out that the OP asked for one without latakia. 965 was a lat bomb for me.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Great suggestions. Smoking WCC Glass Slipper right now. Excellent first smoke. Love Bijou and Regents Flake. I like Embarcadero but have to be in right mood as it’s a bit “dry” in terms of sweetness. Wilke 111 has a small bit of Latakia. Presbyterian is also very light on the Lat. I think Red Reparee also is orientals forward and light on the lat.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
O
Great suggestions. Smoking WCC Glass Slipper right now. Excellent first smoke. Love Bijou and Regents Flake. I like Embarcadero but have to be in right mood as it’s a bit “dry” in terms of sweetness. Wilke 111 has a small bit of Latakia. Presbyterian is also very light on the Lat. I think Red Reparee also is orientals forward and light on the lat.
often wondered about Red Raparee and Black Mallory , seen them listed as Scottish , hence the rabbit hole link above , are they related like a White Knight and Black House or am I way off?

Reactions: ofafeather

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
O

often wondered about Red Raparee and Black Mallory , seen them listed as Scottish , hence the rabbit hole link above , are they related like a White Knight and Black House or am I way off?
Red Raparee is more oriental forward I think than black Mallory. I don’t think I’ve tried either of the knights so I’ll leave it to someone more knowledgeable to answer that one.