PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I've been a fan of latakia forward blends for years, amd while im sure ive tried many oriental blends, i cant recall the flavors im currently getting from 2 common bulk blends. Im finally getting a "buttery" forward oriental flavor that ive always read about but never gotten.... And im in love again.

Namely, i havent been able to smoke anything else all week besides Sutliff's Balkin II and Stokkebye's English Oriental Supreme 306.

Any suggestions for blends with this taste profile, preferably bulk (because i plan to smoke a lot) but tins too?

Reactions: Scottmi

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Are you looking for blends without latakia?
No. I love latakia, amd while those 2 blends are very light on it, i think it's the buttery-forward oriental presentation im looking for. I think. Might be better with a heavier lat portion or perhaps not. But butter is the target here.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
No. I love latakia, amd while those 2 blends are very light on it, i think it's the buttery-forward oriental presentation im looking for. I think. Might be better with a heavier lat portion or perhaps not. But butter is the target here.
Like for the first time in years im not chasing the lat smokiness but rather something else i can only figure to be some of the turkish leaf perhaps.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Gotcha, I thought you meant that you were looking for a more Oriental blend and less Balkan.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Namely, i havent been able to smoke anything else all week besides Sutliff's Balkin II and Stokkebye's English Oriental Supreme 306.
I adore PS17 English Luxury (very light on the Latakia) and, from the description, it sounds like EOS may be the same blend with some Turkish thrown in. I have some C&D Turkish on hand and will give this a try tomorrow.

PS Natural Dutch Cavendish 301 is my all day, every day smoke. I just can't get enough. Lately I have been mixing it 2:1 with Turkish and dang if it is not just as smooth as silk. The Turkish seems to balance the tiny edge of the red VA, so I can retro this blend all night long. Really got me wanting to try more Virginia-Oriental blends.

ClenchedBilliard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 19, 2021
Louisiana
My regular lineup is predominantly oriental forward stuff, here's a few of my current favorites:
GL Pease Caravan
Drucquer & son Casbah (LOVE this one)
Ravenwood Nepenthe
LJ Peretti Cambridge Flake, and also Tashkent (bulk)
Country Squire Shepherd's Pie (bulk)