PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
For true coins you're fairly limited. I really like Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake but in my opinion it needs at least six months of age on it before it really shines. The longer the better. Davidoff's Flake Medallions gets a good rap although I've never tried it. Peterson/Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls are, at least to my palatte, very similar to Escudo at a higher price.

If you're comfortable getting a bit weird and a lot Danish then MacBaren's slew of lumpy coins can be very good. Doblone D'Oro and Dark Twist being the always available standouts.

Gawith's various ropes are also ripe for being cut into coins and a far departure from Escudo.

As for Navy Flake, it's kind of like "English Blend" where it's usually a catch all term for virginia flakes usually with some kind of alcohol topping to various strengths. Again Stokkebye reigns supreme. Both Luxury Navy Flake and Luxury Twist Flake are very good, especially with age. MacBaren/Newminster's No. 400 Superior Navy Flake is also great, at an even better price, but it's stretching the definition of Navy Flake. Dan Tobacco's Salty Dogs is a really fantastic VaPer, kind of Navy Plug I guess. GL Pease's Windjammer is fantastic with a lot going on.

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
I'm a big fan of Newminster 403 Superior Round Slices.

I dont really know what makes a navy blend. I would think virginia perique blends are what you mean by navy.

403 is dark fired wrapped in virgina, with some kind of sweet topping. Good stuff, smells like fresh baked cookies.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Doblone D'Oro and Dark Twist and LNF & LBF -- but age them... The stokkebye's I have was bought in 2017; smooooth now. Another i love is capstan blue -- a great flake and apparently was a favourite of tolkein's...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
Some of the best flake I've had was Rattrays Marlin Flake. The first one I ever smoked was McClelland's 2015 which was good but I was just learning.
I think the really most typical Navy style tobacco would be ropes. I have smoked a few of those too, but, again, it was around the first or second year of my pipe smoking experience.
One's palate develops as you become more accustomed to the variances and the process.
The only tobacco I have had any tongue burn with consistently, is Half 'n Half.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
What is your favorite Navy Flake or Coin blend? Tell us why.
I'm losing interest in the current version of Escudo and am looking for something more exciting and stronger in strength and taste in that style.
Try GLP Windjammer. It has enough burley and Perique to provide plenty of strength. The tangy Virginias and rum topping do their thing as well. It’s a flavor bomb

Reactions: sparker69

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Mac Baren Navy Flake. What the hell is a navy flake, anyway? Is it the rum? Either way, Mac Baren's offering is one of the most well-balanced blends I've ever had the pleasure of smoking. Fresh, aged, it just hits all the spots. Nice bump of nicotine, too.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Nice thread! I love Navy Flake or just tobacco with a navy theme in general.
I love Doblone d'Oro - one of my very faves, but not sure it fits the navy category; I understood that to be a navy flake (or coin) there has to be the alcohol addition - usually rum.
Had some Windjammer last night - a fine flake. Navigator is good as well, and I've been really enjoying Mac Baren's offering. Capstan Blue I love (well, it does have the word navy on the tin!). Interested it trying Sextant, and PS - but haven't got around to them yet. Aye-aye maties!

Reactions: Danimal92sport

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Not the easiest to get but similar to Doblone D'Oro which is great but sans the Burley , but with Kentucky for strength and Va and Perique for sweetness and stewed fruit and a bit of pepper Three Nuns Green has plenty of flavor and now that it's out of production anything you do find will have some age on it. Keep an eye out for it. But getting away from coins a true Navy-style vaper I like is Salty Dogs I cube it and let it sit for like 10 minutes and it has a wallop of flavor even for a Covid tongue.

Reactions: Danimal92sport