PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
I bought this one this April on my trip to Istanbul and Eskisehir. It is small pipe (group 3 chamber) carved by Battal out of excellent block and has probably the best mouthpiece from all my meers.
In the shop:

porocnafotografija_011.JPG

After cca 200 smokes (on average 1 per day)

battal42.jpg

battal4.jpg

I bought one more from the same carver and it is from amazing block that should color marble like but it had mediocre mouthpiece and hopefully I'm getting it back next week with new one. Then the first Battal gets some deserved rest :)

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Very nice. I've not had much experience with meers, I should rectify that...
Yes you should, I'd take a meer over a briar any day.
Rrrreally
I've had a few - a CEO Bacchus that wouldn't stay lit, a no name estate dublin that had seen a lot of smoke but had a similar problem, and an Ehrlich (which I still have) that smokes too wet (also a very restricted draw).
I'd like to try a Baki perhaps, or an Altinok, as I hear they use more modern internal structuring, but when I look at the price I just say, hey, I can get a briar I know I'll like for that price, why mess with success?
Perhaps I need to change that.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
Astrange1 and cosmicfolklore, I did rewax it during a smoke a couple of times but that is all. imo a meer should have a nice wax coating because it protects it not only from stains but also from scratches and even breaking in case of abuse. And it helps with coloring a lot. Other than that I didn't do anything special to it. I actually smoked it as it was beaten up briar, it went everywhere with me, even on the beach. :)

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
Cosmicfolklore, yes, carver of this meer is Selver Battal. I know this because I bought it on my trip to Turkey. Usually best carvers sign pipes but only figurals, for plain pipes you have to ask seller, they know most of the time, specially if it is from well known carver.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Maybe he still uses whale oil on his pipes? I have read that without using whale oil, proper coloring is never achieved.

Maybe they are still allowed to use this in Turkey? Just a guess.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
The owner of the shop actually discouraged me to buy it since it is small and would color fast... so I don't think that they like coloring at all :)

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Sajgre, that pipe is taking on a wonderful color! Some of the master carvers "do" sign their non-figural pipes, Emin is one of them. The two larger pipes here are Emin pipes and are signed... Baki is another... the second photo.

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Hi,

Just a quick note that "Whale oil" is not being used in Turkey .
Bahadir

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Really, really amazing - -I have about 30 bowls into my SMS and I can't see hardly any coloring. So jealous!

Status
Not open for further replies.