PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
OK, so, I recently developed a liking for Falcons after finding an estate on the cheap, great pipes.
So I decided a couple weeks ago to order myself a Hunter and an International.
The Hunter is great, like my OG, but black and slick and all kinds of right. Got a Plymouth Smooth bowl too, also great.
But, here is the WTF, what the actual fluff is with the quality of the international? I mean there are moving marks all over this plastic crap, i know it's just a cover over the aluminum but still, show some pride in your work. I shouldn't need to finish a new pipe, that's the factories job.
I guess what Jeremy Clarkson said about things made in Britain are true.
"Saying something is handmade in Britain is just a fancy way of saying the doors will fall off"

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wait, this is a plastic coating over the shank? Or the short black stem? I finally bought a Falcon with the bronze colored shank with a briar bowl on a steep sale from (I think it was) Iwan Ries, and though it often gets passed over for a briar, mountain laurel, cob, or Meer, l hadn't noticed anything glaringly shoddy about it. In my case, it was a true bargain. What part of the pipe is showing premature wear?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The country that brought you Lucas Electrics, world renowned as "The Prince Of Darkness".

• The Lucas corporate motto: “Get home before dark.”
  • If Lucas made guns, wars would not start.
  • Lucas holds the patent for the short circuit.
  • Lucas – Inventor of the intermittent wiper.
  • Lucas – Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
  • The three position Lucas switch – Dim, Flicker and Off
  • The Original Anti-Theft Device – Lucas Electrics.
  • Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Wait, this is a plastic coating over the shank? Or the short black stem? I finally bought a Falcon with the bronze colored shank with a briar bowl on a steep sale from (I think it was) Iwan Ries, and though it often gets passed over for a briar, mountain laurel, cob, or Meer, l hadn't noticed anything glaringly shoddy about it. In my case, it was a true bargain. What part of the pipe is showing premature wear?
the international. It's like all plastic on the outside. Has a spot for a filter and the humidome. It allows the falcon to pretend to be a regular pipe from a distance.

Reactions: jewman22
Jun 25, 2021
England
The country that brought you Lucas Electrics, world renowned as "The Prince Of Darkness".

• The Lucas corporate motto: “Get home before dark.”
  • If Lucas made guns, wars would not start.
  • Lucas holds the patent for the short circuit.
  • Lucas – Inventor of the intermittent wiper.
  • Lucas – Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
  • The three position Lucas switch – Dim, Flicker and Off
  • The Original Anti-Theft Device – Lucas Electrics.
  • Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices
Tell me about it.
When I left school I was an apprentice car mechanic, working on BMC cars.
I was with the electrician for 6-months. Suffice to say that Lucas, ahem, electronics kept us both well employed during that time.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Falcon Pipes. An interesting pipe if your idea of smoking perfection is a hollowed out wooden door knob attached to frame made from re-smelted Colt 45 Malt Liquor ring pulls and a length of brake cable pipe. Normally smoked by people from 'Up North' who wear socks with their sandals and look like this fellow...

View attachment 107400
Hey the Germans have the international patent on socks and sandals, and I may say although it looks…funny…it is pure practically at work: feet air well without feeling cold ;)

Reactions: jewman22

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Yeah, thought I mentioned it, The regular Falcons are great fit and finish for what they are.

My problem is specifically with the International. IT's more expensive, tries to be a real pipe cosmetically, accepts a filter and is coated with cheap plastic, even the stem is low grade plastic. Molding marks everywhere.

I get that Falcons dont appeal to all, I'm not a fan of the look myself, but I'm quite fond of the way they smoke. And the mouthpiece is weird. I wouldn't have tried them if I didn't get an estate for 10$

Reactions: anotherbob