PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Aviator

Lurker
Jul 25, 2024
Hello everyone, i got a hold of this estate pipe from ebay with it saying gourd calabash meerschaum, but this doesn't seem like a mineral, but more like a resin. I've never owned a meer pipe, but again, this seems like a resin with the three circle mold marks (and the rubber o ring isn't a confidence booster also). What do you guys think?1000008809.jpg1000008810.jpg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Aviator

Lurker
Jul 25, 2024
It
Some gourd pipes like the Pioneer ones used porcelain bowls. That bowl with the rubber ring looks just like one of them. Also a lot of eBay sellers etc. wouldn’t necessarily know the difference.it is

Some gourd pipes like the Pioneer ones used porcelain bowls. That bowl with the rubber ring looks just like one of them. Also a lot of eBay sellers etc. wouldn’t necessarily know the difference.
The bowl doesn't feel like a porcelain. It feels like plastic, it's very lightweight

Reactions: kcghost

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
The bowl appears to be pressed meerschaum and the rubber "O" ring instead of a cork gasket is probably not a big deal. If you're concerned, I would suggest heating a needle and pressing it into the bowl in an inconspicuous spot, perhaps one of the mold marks. If it's plastic, you should be able to tell immediately.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

upnorth1

Lifer
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
IMG_8595.jpeg
This is a porcelain bowl from a Pioneer meer. It’s lighter than you’d think and definitely inferior to meerschaum. These pipes are generally inexpensive. I bought one at a low price and replaced the bowl with a block meer bowl. I paid 26$ us for the pipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Aviator

Lurker
Jul 25, 2024
Wo d
View attachment 326457
This is a porcelain bowl from a Pioneer meer. It’s lighter than you’d think and definitely inferior to meerschaum. These pipes are generally inexpensive. I bought one at a low price and replaced the bowl with a block meer bowl. I paid 26$ us for the pipe.
Who did you purchase the replacement block meer bowl from?

upnorth1

Lifer
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
View attachment 326457
This is a porcelain bowl from a Pioneer meer. It’s lighter than you’d think and definitely inferior to meerschaum. These pipes are generally inexpensive. I bought one at a low price and replaced the bowl with a block meer bowl.
Wo d

Who did you purchase the replacement block meer bowl from?
i can’t remember and I can’t find the place. However a google of calabash replacement bowls will turn up several places. Prices vary so shop around. I got mine at 50% off. It came from Turkey.
They come in several sizes so be prepared to buy slightly small and file the underside for a proper fit. No two gourds are exactly alike or perfectly round. I also replaced the cork collar with self adhesive cork sheet which you can buy online in varying thicknesses and cut into strips.