PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
I just had P&C try to charge me an excise tax on a pipe tobacco order to be shipped to Colorado. I've never had an online retailer attempt to collect an excise tax on a pipe tobacco order that was being shipped to Colorado, nor did a quick internet search yield any support/requirement for doing so. Has anyone else in Colorado encountered an online retailer collecting an excise tax on pipe tobacco shipments to Colorado?

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

Bright Orange Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2024
Colorado, USA
Well, back to the b&m for me if a tin is going to end up costing the same or much more in some cases online. Less selection is a drawback though.

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
Tax Rates for Tobacco Products

PeriodTax Rate
December 31, 2020 and prior40%
January 1, 2021 through June 30, 202450%
July 1, 2024 through June 30, 202756%
July 1, 2027 and later62%

From: Tobacco Products | Department of Revenue - Taxation - https://tax.colorado.gov/tobacco-products

I heard from Jim of Emerson Southern Forged that the tax will be on MSRP. What if the manufacturer's suggested retail price is $0.01?
Thanks. What seems odd to me is that, if this has been in effect since 2020, it has taken until now to show up on any online retailer's calculation of total purchase price. I guess that I should just shut up and be thankful that it has taken this long.