PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Seems everyone uses Everclear or grain alcohol when cleaning pipes but grain alcohol is not available in Canada. We do have denatured alcohol but as it is not fit for human consumption I assume that would be a bad choice. Almost all our liquor is 80 proof and unlike the USA our booze is very expensive so using Vodka as a cleaner is expensive.

Does anyone have a substitute suggestion?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The major thing with alcohol used for pipe cleaning is the higher the proof the better. 80 proof is ok, but the higher you can find the better. If you haven't already I'd search the local liquor shops. That's where there tends to be bottles of higher proof (usuallly hit's closer to the 120 proof range).

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
@herbinedave...Isopropyl alcohol? Isn't that just rubbing alcohol? Sorry the naming conventions for things in USA isn't always the same in Canada.
@lordofthepipering...find liquor higher then 80 proof in Canada is tough also if you do find it its very expensive. example 100 proof KNOB CREEK bourbon is well over 40 bucks for what you guys call a 1/5 (750ml) and not easy to find.

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
Isopropyl alcohol is much more pure than rubbing alcohol, it shouldn't be called something different, but either one should work just fine

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Personally I have heard of health risks by using isopropyl alcohol, I just use vodka or gin, they both work well for me, latley I have been using Svedka. Just buy the cheapest vodka you can find, it will do the job

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I don't have a problem finding spirits with an alcohol content over 80 proof here in Nova Scotia. A cheap bet is a mass produced 151 rum. I'm not much of a 151 rum drinker though so I don't usually buy the stuff. You can find a lot of single malt whisky that is bottled at 46% as well, but you are definitely going to hit or exceed that $40.00 threshold you mentioned. I like to drink single malt whisky so I usually keep a bottle of Aberlour Abunadh in the liquor cabinet. It is bottled at 60.2% and is an amazing whisky that serves as a fantastic pipe cleaner. It is on the pricey side at $89.00 a bottle, but I keep it around for quite a while. I buy a bottle a year.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
You can get grain alcohol in the duty free shops and in Quebec. May even be able to get it in New Brunswick, but I'm not sure. Next time you know someone who is visiting Quebec have them pick you up a bottle or 2. My buddy drives long haul truck all across Canada and regularly visits Quebec. I will ask him to check on pricing. I could ship it to you in a water bottle or something?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
@barkar .... you're not going to be using it for cleaning AND consumption, so if you go the liquor way, get some cheap(er) vodka. Scotch /whisky /bourbon impart flavors unless it's the real cheap stuff. Doesn't have to be higher than 40%. I've had a 200 ml bottle of vodka for about a month and only used about 1/8 of it so far, with 8 pipes seeing regular action.

Isopropyl is fine as long as you don't accidentally take a swig from the bottle while cleaning the pipes.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I have never used anything but 91% isopropyl alcohol. Cheap and effective.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
@ohin3 thanks I appreciate your offer but I will try and find this 91% isopropyl alcohol. Maybe I just haven't looked in the right place yet.

I also like single malt scotch...just can't bring myself to use it as a cleaner...lol

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I use 151 because it gives a good flavor and smell to the pipe. With the Isopropyl alcohol you have to make sure you let your pipe dry for a week or so. You don't want any of that in your lungs or mouth.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I've used 160 proof Devil's Springs AND 99% isopropyl alcohol that I got from a buddy who has it for chemistry stuff. Both work fine I've found just the Devil's Springs takes a day longer to thoroughly dry the pipe.
-Jason

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I dont use anything other than a pipe cleaner and a soft brush on mine. about once a year i will stuff a cotton ball in the bowl with some alcohol on it. So even at $40 a litter vodka would be just fine cause it would last for several years.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
@herbinedave...yep I had already bought a bag of coarse salt.
Ok here's what I found....same drug store I went to first time that had the rubbing alcohol also about two feet to the right on same shelf has 99% ISOPROPANOL which in French is Alcool isopropylique.

So for any other Canucks doing a similar search you get it at SHOPPERS GRUG MART chain about 5.00 500ml.
Thanks everyone for your help.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I use 151 because it gives a good flavor and smell to the pipe. With the Isopropyl alcohol you have to make sure you let your pipe dry for a week or so. You don't want any of that in your lungs or mouth.
91% isopropyl or even the 70% stuff dries in a matter of seconds. Overnight is more than enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.