PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RudyH

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2022
Wisconsin
Title shortened and capital added. (Rule 9, please) Original title:
"European aromatics as a family of tobaccos"

I have not been a big fan of American style aromatics because the ones I tried either didn't have much flavor or they had a lot of topping flavor that I didn't care for. I like the room notes of the American aromatics, and it's that pleasant room note that attracted me to them in the first place. If I'm smoking in public, I want to project an agreeable scent rather than a bad one. I often smoke in parks and similar public outdoor spaces.

But in the interest of a good smoke, I switched to Englishes and VaPers. Flavor and overall pleasure of the experience was improved for me at the expense of room note for others.

Being greedy, I looked for alternatives that would give me good flavor and a pleasurable smoke while still having a pleasant room note. Fortunately the tobacco search tool at SmokingPipes helped me to find such a tobacco.

Davidoff Danish Mixture is such a blend and I like it very much because of that. You might too. It, or a similar tobacco, may become my favorite blend. I've been smoking it for less than six months, and in rotation with the few other blends that I smoke. It's complex, with many different flavors expressing themselves throughout a single bowl, and it's got a good overall dominant flavor. After experiencing that tobacco I started buying others in the same general family of tobaccos, those which I refer to as European aromatics or Danish aromatics.

I was not aware of this type of tobacco until recently.

I still keep some Lane 1Q to smoke for a change of pace, but it's not like these European aromatics. It's more like the mainstream American aromatics, and it has the especially endearing quality of a great mouth feel.

Last edited by a moderator:

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
British “scented” tobaccos are a thing of their own - think Lakelands, Condor, St Bruno and so forth. Not exactly an aromatic but ….

Danish blends are another - there’s always a topping, lightly applied and it’s a like it or not thing as opposed to love it or hate it like others (i.e., American aros, Lakelands).

German blends like Dan or Vauen are (to me anyway) another distinct genre. Very different flavor profiles to what I’ve come to expect from other blends.

I’d toss Codger blends - at least some of them - into a category as aromatics that stand somewhat apart, but that’s probably picking nits.

Otherwise, I would posit that the vast majority of blends fall into the aromatic genre somewhere or other. They are popular for a reason. They sell. A lot.

Jun 23, 2019
Ironically, Gawith makes a great "American Sweet Peach" that I really enjoy. Predominantly burleys with some accenting unflavored cavendish and a sweet peach casing - which is heavy on the nose but light on the tongue.

But I agree with you, there should be a distinction between those goopy/will-never-dry-in-a-million-years aromatics and the more premium 'flavored' tobaccos.