PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
This style of fully-figural pipe seems to have lost popularity around 1900. So last 15 years or so of 1800s is my guess. Lovely carving. Stem is a replacement, original would have been amber. You have a gorgeous pipe.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
my grandfathers pipe

I could tell you much, much more than any sane person would want to know about Franz Seraph Hiess and his four sons (Eduard, Karl, Rudolph and Franz), but unfortunately even if you stayed awake none of it would help you date your pipe beyond what's already been said. The address and the reference to "& Söhne" on the label only tell you it was made after 1885, but given that the name of the business and its location stayed the same for many decades that won't narrow down the range very much, which appears to leave aesthetic judgment as the next best thing. But there is another path we can try that begins at the other end of the puzzle, with your grandfather. Do you know if he bought the pipe new or used? If new, when was he born and where was he likely to have been living from his twenties through his forties? I would point out that it seems a bit unlikely to have been a new purchase unless your grandfather was born 140-160 years ago or more.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I could tell you much, much more than any sane person would want to know about Franz Seraph Hiess and his four sons
Have you thought of writing something for Pipedia? The only list his name under the Brands & Makers section. No click for more information.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Have you thought of writing something for Pipedia? The only list his name under the Brands & Makers section. No click for more information.
Honestly I don’t have the time. Pipe stuff comes after work and family, and even within pipe stuff Hiess would be very far down the list. If I wrote up everything I had into an intelligible narrative I’d be doing little else.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Jguss, do you know if any off the Heiss family were carving pipes, or were they just businesspeople who employed carvers? An extraordinarily kind person gifted me a Heiss meerschaum, case stamped both inside on the fabric and on the outer edge, "Franz Heiss & Söhne." I trust Ben Rapaport, who says head/face pipes seem to have gone out-of-fashion around 1900, so that's a solid 15-year period (or so) in which it could have been made. The carving is lovely, and I never expected I'd pin down a year; your early date helps get a period. The person who passed it to me saw Heiss had a booth at the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, and believed it might have been purchased there.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
A well executed pipe by one of Heiss's house carvers and would at one point have had an amber stem. Ben Rapaport is indeed right in that carved pipes of head/faces had gone out of fashion by 1900. Meerschaum tended to show up as conventional pipe shapes by the early 1900s. This explains all the bulldog pipes that have survived with the 'blinged' up metal fittings and also less ornate pipes tend to survive the wear and tear of general use.

kkolding

Lurker
Apr 4, 2021
First, let me thank you @jguss for sharing your wealth of info on Hiess&Sohne - I've been looking for this detail for a while! Secondly, any thoughts on this one? I found it interesting that this one has the address *20* Kartnthnerstrasse - any guesses as to whether that implies this was made before 1885 when their "new" building at *25* Karnstrasse was completed? (or it may also be that I am just missing some detail about the building address). Anyway, this was passed down through my brother's family - strong German/Austrian roots so I don't know where it was originally acquired but I'd be grateful for any detail or guidance on where to look. I am the last surviving member of this family line so unfortunately I will be looking to sell this but would like to provide the buyers with all the info I can. HiessCaseInside1of4.jpgHiessPipeFace2of4.jpg

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
First, let me thank you @jguss for sharing your wealth of info on Hiess&Sohne - I've been looking for this detail for a while! Secondly, any thoughts on this one? I found it interesting that this one has the address *20* Kartnthnerstrasse - any guesses as to whether that implies this was made before 1885 when their "new" building at *25* Karnstrasse was completed? (or it may also be that I am just missing some detail about the building address). Anyway, this was passed down through my brother's family - strong German/Austrian roots so I don't know where it was originally acquired but I'd be grateful for any detail or guidance on where to look. I am the last surviving member of this family line so unfortunately I will be looking to sell this but would like to provide the buyers with all the info I can. View attachment 73672View attachment 73673

According to the Adolph Lehmann Vienna city directories of the time, Hiess was located at 20 Karthnetstrasse from 1883-1886, so I’d say it’s safe to date your pipe to the mid 1880s.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Jguss, do you know if any off the Heiss family were carving pipes, or were they just businesspeople who employed carvers?

Jonas, the company is listed in contemporary city directories, such as this one from 1890, as being a “Meerschaum, Bernstein u. Drechsler warenfab.”, ie a factory engaged in making goods from meerschaum, amber and turned wood.

36C06DF9-9D18-4F02-93D1-AA65240F1893.jpeg

More specifically Franz was himself listed as a turner (below as an example is an extract from a city directory issued in 1870):

5E4CCAEA-8A5B-47EE-AAE6-6D8A509C01F2.jpeg

So my read is yes, Franz and those of his sons involved in the business actually made pipes, and as the company grew they hired additional artisans to expand production.

Reactions: briarbuck
Status
Not open for further replies.