PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

lukifer

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2022
Minnesota, US
I recently picked up an estate pipe off ebay. It came with a thick cake, I reamed it down to tolerable levels and did my usual clean of new pipes(pipe cleaner dipped in alcohol and clean the stem). It also came with a wind cap and I noticed a dark ring around the outside where the cap touches. I thought "wow, someone got that metal cap nice and hot, weird that a wind cap would do that"(sarcasm emoji).

I packed it up, lit it and almost immediately tasted the most disgusting flavor I have ever tasted. Like sour, burnt wood. After a puff or 2 I thought nope, I need to deep clean this with salt and alcohol. Seeing as I barely got past the initial light I dumped the bowl and was going to repack it in a different pipe but all the tobacco now reeked of sour, bitter, burnt wood as well. I found this odd. Needless to say I tossed the tobacco.

After a 24 hour salt and alcohol deep clean and a 24 hour+ dry time, I tried it again. Same result just slightly less pronounced. So I reamed it back down to wood and found what I have captured in the photos below. Someone abused the piss out of this pipe. They no doubt packed it up, lit it with an acetylene torch, slapped on the wind cap and went absolutely mad puffing away like a steam train.

I have done a second deep clean after reaming, it still smells of alcohol and needs to dry more but I can still smell burnt wood(obvious as to why). As someone will no doubt point out, I have already gone a bit overboard with the reaming. My reamer isn't cone shaped, there is just that much shrinkage around mid bowl. Removing all the burnt wood will involve widening the bowl. I don't intend to sell this pipe, no one should sell one that has been abused this badly, I would like to salvage, re-cake and smoke it if I can get this horrible taste out of it.

I have never seen one this bad and I am at a loss as to what to do with it. "Throw it away and downvote the ebay seller" haha yes I know, that inevitable comment will get plenty of likes.

My question is, should I
A: continue reaming and widen the bowl until all the burnt wood is gone and clean again?
Or
B: keep the material and continue deep cleaning repeatedly until the taste is gone?

Basically, is the horrible taste coming from the burnt wood in the bowl or is it coming from a flavor of burnt wood that has been soaked into the wood and can be cleaned out without removing more material?

Sorry for the novel, thanks in advance for the advice.

Attachments

• 20240806_234653.jpg
    20240806_234653.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240806_234636.jpg
    20240806_234636.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240806_234433.jpg
    20240806_234433.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240806_234422.jpg
    20240806_234422.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240806_234412.jpg
    20240806_234412.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240806_234402.jpg
    20240806_234402.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 22

dingdong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
I tried filling up the bowl of my 1965 ghost-infested Dunhill with ground coffee (soaked in water) and leave it for 2 days. Some improvement in taste. puffy puffy puffy

I don't think you need to ream, maybe just sand it up a bit, no?

Reactions: lukifer

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Looks burnt. Water glass treatment is in order. That will fill the gaps and protect if from further burning. Rustie has discussed it and Ive done some research on doing it. Sooner or later one of the estates I buy will look like that.

Calling @RustiePyles CPG

Last edited:

xrundog

Lifer
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I’ll be the naysayer and opine that the chamber isn’t that bad. What little damage there is should cake over. Do two things for me.
1. Take a sniff at the end of the stem tenon. What does the airway smell like?
2. Dip a fluffy pipe cleaner in alcohol. Put it in the shank up to, but not in the chamber. Let it soak an hour and pull it out. How does it look?

Reactions: OzPiper and Kobold

Briarcutter

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
I’ll be the naysayer and opine that the chamber isn’t that bad. What little damage there is should cake over.
I'd agree, smoke it and suffer a bit till you build a cake.You'd probably be surprised if you took a lot of pipes down to the wood as you have done and saw what the wood really looks like. I'm sure many would look similar. That's just the chances of estates.

Reactions: xrundog

lukifer

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2022
Minnesota, US
I’ll be the naysayer and opine that the chamber isn’t that bad. What little damage there is should cake over. Do two things for me.
1. Take a sniff at the end of the stem tenon. What does the airway smell like?
2. Dip a fluffy pipe cleaner in alcohol. Put it in the shank up to, but not in the chamber. Let it soak an hour and pull it out. How does it look?
Some of the heat fissures are deeper than they look in the photos. The shank doesn't smell. I agree that's where most ghosts are found. When I get new pipes I thuroughly clean the airways out with alcohol and pipe cleaners. After an hour and a half in the shank the pipe cleaner came out slightly more gray than I expected but not bad.

I know I sound crazy but the burnt wood smell is coming from the bowl itself which is super weird. Tobacco that I packed in there and only did a charring light smelled terrible after dumping. All I can think is whoever owned that pipe got it super hot with the wind cap on until it got too hot to hold and tasted more like burnt wood than tobacco and then set it aside half smoked with the cap still on trapping all that moisture and terrible flavor to soak into the bowl. I don't know how else this would happen. The underside of the wind cap is rusty as well.

I am baffled by the fact that the bowl itself is the part that reeks. I guess I am going to try and sand out the bowl a bit and then do a few more alcohol and salt baths. Maybe try coffee grounds. I've never had a ghosted or sour pipe survive 2 deep cleans before but this one is about to get its 4th after I remove more of the burnt wood. The salt is coming out less and less dirty looking each time but I am not very hopeful that this pipe won't wind up in the pipe graveyard box.

Reactions: kcghost