PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Man, thats definatley a bummer. I had similar issues with a couple of estates I bought years and years ago. Couldn't get the smell out, so I resold them.

Because of this I avoid estates that are anything other than unsmoked. I know it puts many of them off the market for me, but I cant take risk of disappointment and lost money.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Stuff the chamber with cotton balls and do the initial alcohol cleaning, Saturate it and give it time to evaporate entirely till the cotton is dry. Repeat with the activated charcoal and alcohol, George's method works like a charm .
For this second cleaning I use grain alcohol . Repeat if necessary.
Recently I deghosted a leather pipe pouch with a gastly stink by putting a small container with baking soda in it.
Let it be for two days or so. Worked fine.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Could that be the sweet scent of rose geranium? Just imagine you are in the Lake District hearing the rain on the roof or the sheep baa-ing out in the fields.

Who ya gonna call? Ghostbusters. I think you just bought your designated pipe.

• Love
Reactions: orlandofurioso

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I've had two different pipes with the same perfume ghost and they tasted nothing like Ennerdale or any of the Lakeland blends I've tried. Lakelands taste organic to me, like sweet almonds. This perfume ghost is more akin to baby powder, a synthetic smell. Someone posted about a particular blend that was very popular back in the day and said that if a pipe tasted like perfume, it was this blend that caused it. I wish I had written it down.
Condor

Reactions: Mrs. Pickles

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Could that be the sweet scent of rose geranium? Just imagine you are in the Lake District hearing the rain on the roof or the sheep baa-ing out in the fields.

Who ya gonna call? Ghostbusters. I think you just bought your designated pipe.
The essence that is used for perfumes and baby powders is generally Neroli, which is extracted from the orange blossom.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The pipe did not come from me! In all seriousness if it has come from the U.K then it is probably Rose Geranium or one of those heavy toppings. On the odd occasion I have come across the ghost of 1-Q on meerschaum pipes that have been purchased in the U.S. The various remedies suggested above will all work I am sure or you could just buy a large bag of Ennerdale and crowd the ghost out!

Reactions: Alejo R.

thegriffiths

Lurker
Jun 28, 2023
Thanks everyone for the help. It's great to have a community that responds (humorously sometimes!) Helpfully. I will give some of these suggestions a try and report back.

Matt

Reactions: condorlover1

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Do all of the above and after that, load it with your favorite baccy & smoke it till it smells like yours.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
Hello pipers!

I have just bought an estate pipe that is in great shape but it must have been in with an older woman's perfume or something. It smells of a floral perfume. I put salt with alcohol in the bowl and stem and let it soak. 2 days of drying out and just smoked it. It was horrible. Tastes like the perfume. Any recommendations to fix that? It's a really nice pipe and I really want to be able to enjoy it.

Thanks!

Matt
Dump the pipe in your garbage container. Then go to your nearest B & M and get yourself a Dr. Grabows. You;ll enjoy your new pipe.
Problem solved. :sher:

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Hello pipers!

I have just bought an estate pipe that is in great shape but it must have been in with an older woman's perfume or something. It smells of a floral perfume. I put salt with alcohol in the bowl and stem and let it soak. 2 days of drying out and just smoked it. It was horrible. Tastes like the perfume. Any recommendations to fix that? It's a really nice pipe and I really want to be able to enjoy it.

Thanks!

Matt
Only laughed because that's happened to me as well.
Alcohol & salt treatment
Smoke Lakelands out of it...