Estate Meers - How to clean the outside of the pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
So there has been lots of discussion here as how to clean / restore estate pipes. Though, they almost exclusively pertain to birars. The few conversations we have had on the subject of refurbing meers has been to cleaning the tobacco chamber and cleaning the stem.
My question is how do you go about cleaning the outside of the actual meer? I am looking into acquiring some meer estates but feel aghast at forever having to look at the lack of care shown by the previous owner. There are some nice ones out there to be had, they just need some TLC to their exteriors.
Is there a simple way to remove the wax and start over? I am not looking at fixing actual nicks in the block. Just removing ash or dirt that has built up on the outside if the bowl due to being stuck in the wax. I don't want to cause any damage to the meer, especially to one that has much intricate carving on it.
I guess the question / answer may be two part.
1) How to clean the outside of a smooth finish meer?

2) How to clean the outside of an intricately carved meer?
Many thanks to those meer experts out there.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
It is very difficult, and if TopD doesn't know then who will? I've tried but what normally happens is the removal of meer.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
I have been trying to find info on this as well with no real luck.

Most people agree with wiping with a damp cloth and in extreme cases sanding it with 1000 grit sandpaper and then re-waxing.
I doubt i would ever try the sanding/re-waxing. I have however wiped my meer with a an almost dry cloth to remove the odd bit of ash etc which works well.
Other people suggested adding more wax to darken the coating to help dirt/marks blend in more.
Below are things i have just read online and i do not know how they work TRY AT OWN RISK!!
Baking Soda or toothpaste applied with a toothbrush. The person who did this mentioned that some of the colour was removed during cleaning.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
@TopD...I was really looking for an answer from You and a few other guys. Not so sure I am going to get a good answer if you don't know.
@rothnn...I am not looking to remove stains, just debre that is caught in the wax coating.
Storient.....what do you say? What's your advice? Anyone else?

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
If it is real bad then you can use steel wool but it will need another coat of beeswax. Storient might know a better way. You could always PM him.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
Well tonight i took 1000 grit sandpaper to my meer as a test. As the rim was quite black in areas due to my lack of care and bad lighter skills.

I sanded carefully and removed just enough to remove the thinnest layer of meerschaum. I then applied beeswax.
Worked a treat.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
A soft toothbrush and patience. Whatever you do, DO NOT use water. My Lionhead Meer likes to get ashes and bits of crap in his mane, and I find they are easier to dislodge when the pipe is warm, i.e. right after smoking a bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.