PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frtimmyd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2011
Well, colour(yes I know how I spelled it but as an Anglican Priest I'm required to use British spellings as often as possible) me shocked! When I first began smoking a pipe you would never have convinced me that I would enjoy English blends. "Too heavy", I thought. "It smells weird, it couldn't possibly taste good."
I started experimenting with Villager Early Day, then moved on to a local B&M version and today broke into my first tin of Margate. Wow! I love this stuff. It lights easy and stays lit with little effort. The taste is pleasant; creamy with just a hint of spiciness near the end.
I guess I've become a full convert. :puffy:

Aug 1, 2012
USA
The Anglican liking English blends...who would have guessed. :D
Seriously though, English baccys are great and you have to try Squadron Leader sometime soon. It really opened my eyes to how many layers of flavor are available in an English blend.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've tried a few of Esoterica's offerings, and I think they're all high quality blends.

Do you detect an incense-like aroma in Margate, stemming from the mix of Orientals and Latakia?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Yes, Margate definitely smells/tastes like incense to me, too. One of my favorite English blends. A little creamy/buttery, too. Def. on my top 10.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
I loved Margate when I first smoked it. It's good stuff no doubt about it, but I've found myself not returning to it too often. So many other blends; so little time. :(

frtimmyd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2011
cortezattic and pitchfork....My Lord, you're right! How could I have missed it??? It has a definite aroma of one of the incenses I've used for Mass. Now I'll have to burn a couple of Censers to figure out which one. LOL :rofl:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
"The Anglican liking English blends...who would have guessed."
Good one, Dave.
Father Tim, I'll second Cap's suggestion on Squadron Leader. It could be an all day smoke with very little practice at all.
As a fellow knee bending Anglican thank you for your service to the faithful, Padre.
Fnord

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Margate is definitely very incense like. One of the things that originally attracted me to it. By the by, I don't know about Anglican incense but catholics use a combination of 2 parts frankincense, 1 part myrrh and 1 part French lavender. I love the smell of it.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Well, despite the possible theological implications, you really do need to try Presbyterian blend. It is an original, authentic to 80 years a ago. A complex, but medium strength English that even those who don't love heavy English blends will love.
(Although I am elder in the PCA church, I deny that smoking this blend will subvert your doctrine and turn you into a 5 Point Calvinist. Well. . . not smoking the blend alone anyway. Let's say it's necessary but not sufficient.)

Status
Not open for further replies.