PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

J2design

Lurker
May 22, 2022
Arlington, Virginia - USA
Hi all - I'm looking for advice, tooling recommendations, etc. for essentially boring or redrilling a tobacco chamber. Typically, I chamfer the rims and sand the chamber of pipes in a similar state, but I would like to able to widen and true chambers which are in especially bad shape. I have access to a drill press and hand tools, no lathe. I am only interested in widening chambers where there is sufficient briar to reinforce the chamber walls. The pipe pictured has a nearly 1" diameter chamber, so I'm looking for large tooling recommendations for this task. I've looked at spoon bits, chucking reamers, etc. but was curious about others' experiences. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240929_161815.jpg
    20240929_161815.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240929_161837.jpg
    20240929_161837.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 17

xrundog

Lifer
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
That one is burned pretty bad. It also has a crack. I’ll try and save almost anything. That one would get discarded.
Something I’ve been using for mild out of round and knife hacked inner rims is a $9 cone shaped bracelet stand with the felt taken off and sand paper wrapped around the pointy end. It re-rounds an inner rim really well.

• Love
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
That one is burned pretty bad. It also has a crack. I’ll try and save almost anything. That one would get discarded.
Something I’ve been using for mild out of round and knife hacked inner rims is a $9 cone shaped bracelet stand with the felt taken off and sand paper wrapped around the pointy end. It re-rounds an inner rim really well.
That's interesting - can you show me a picture of your tool? I'm missing something like that.

• Love
Reactions: TheIronMonkey