PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ziv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2024
South Florida
I have been smoking Englishes almost exclusively recently, but today I can't sense much else but ash. I can barely taste any Latakia.
Smoking Sutliff Vanilla Custard now in hopes to reset my palate and get a feel for English blends again.

Do you have to ditch your favorite blends for a while and reset your palate? How long does fatigue last for you?

ziv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2024
South Florida
I think there's a natural progression. Aromatics > English > Virginia > Burley > Codger. Some people save a lot of time and money and go straight to step 5.
I actually started with codger blends! Velvet, Half & Half, and SWR (terrible vinegar taste!) were the first ones I had. But Englishes won me over pretty quickly.

Last edited:

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
It’s pretty typical to eventually burn out on Lat blends to some degree. Most folks just move on to VaPers or Burley blends. Some smoke Lat blends occasionally and others end up abandoning them pretty much entirely.

I still smoke Lat blends occasionally but now it’s maybe 10% of the rotation.

Smoke what you like. Taking a break for a few days or changing what you’re smoking usually refreshes the palate.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row” Richmond Virginia USA
Smoke what you want when you want has always been the way I approach it. A lot of blends change with me based on the weather and Lats are ones I prefer in the Spring and Fall or for a change up at night.
Virginia’s and Vapers when is warmer out but there are always constants. I do get burnt out on too much of any one blend and have to put it to the side for awhile and come back to it again later.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I used to love the rich, umami flavor of Latakia blends, especially the ones with plenty of Orientals. However, once I discovered the mellow complexity of Virginia blends, and learned how to smoke them without getting them overheated, I pretty much abandoned English blends. A common progression indeed.

Some people grow to dislike Latakia because they find the flavor unpleasant even off-putting. I find the smoke harsh and flavorless. I think there might be a reason for this, beyond a change in palate—at least for me.

When I was smoking English and Balkan blends almost exclusively, the tobacco was always fresh from the tin. Now on the odd occasion I want a change of pace, I dip into a 2 oz. jar that has been sitting around, sometimes for years. Jarred Virginia generally gets better with age but, at least in my experience, jarred Latakia gets worse. Even in a well-sealed jar, especially a small one, Latakia tends to dry out. It loses its flavor and complexity and becomes unpleasant.

So maybe, if you want to keep an English/Balkan blend in your rotation, you have to be prepared to discard the old stuff, crack a tin and smoke it fresh.

Last edited:

Auxsender

Lifer
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Time is the only thing that resets my taster. I need at least 3 days for a reset and then I can taste tobacco smoke again. Switching genres doesn’t do anything to help me.

I haven’t smoked an English blend in a long time. The closest to Latakia I get is maybe Bob’s Chocolate Flake or WCC Old Black Magic which is sorely underrated. Other than that, Latakia is a “no” for me, dog. 🐶

Chris from Cigarworld

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2022
Lübeck, Germany
www.cigarworld.de
I have been smoking Englishes almost exclusively recently, but today I can't sense much else but ash. I can barely taste any Latakia.
Smoking Sutliff Vanilla Custard now in hopes to reset my palate and get a feel for English blends again.

Do you have to ditch your favorite blends for a while and reset your palate? How long does fatigue last for you?
Well there are two ways for this experience in my opinion.

First, your tongue is not used to the heavy latakia- taste enough to taste the differnces and nuances. It will improve a lot when you just move on and try different types of latakia- blends. This is often the case when people begin to smoke those kind of blends.

It's very similar with smoky- peaty whisky. First you only taste smoke, and the palate needs to develop to taste the difference.

The second case is when you had latakia blends for years, and your tongue is too worn out and can not detect any differences any longer.

The first case happens more often, when people don't have the persistence to stand the latakia taste and be ready for a true learning curve.