PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
revolution, rumination, ramification... I'm not sure what a relevation is though.

I love the idea of a latakia OTC. Were there others that had latakia also?
Country Doctor, Barking Dog, and Hayward Mixture (which Bing Crosby smoked), Blue Boar, London Dock, and Walnut immediately come to mind. There were a few others that came along in the 1960s and into the early 70s that I can't think of at the moment.

And Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend, youse mug!! Myeah!

I forgot Brindley's Mixture.

Last edited:
Country Doctor, Barking Dog, and Hayward Mixture (which Bing Crosby smoked), Blue Boar, London Dock, and Walnut immediately come to mind.
Thanks Jim. I should have remembered Country Doctor as my pipe club shared a tin of that a few years ago. I wish there were at least one OTC that still had latakia.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle
Both of the E. Hoffman offerings have latakia in them and are simple, old-timey blends. I'm sure they could be considered at home in the OTC category though as Jim points out we don't know if they were sold in drug stores.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Painter Hills seems like Revelation on steroids to me. I like it. A lot. I like that blend recipe, kind of an Americanized "English." I may not know what I'm talking about, though, because I can't remember ever seeing a pouch of Revelation that wasn't dried out and tossable. We're talkin' 1970s here, at best. Never saw signs of it being as popular as PA or the others.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
Painter Hills seems like Revelation on steroids to me. I like it. A lot. I like that blend recipe, kind of an Americanized "English." I may not know what I'm talking about, though, because I can't remember ever seeing a pouch of Revelation that wasn't dried out and tossable. We're talkin' 1970s here, at best. Never saw signs of it being as popular as PA or the others.
One of my favorites. Painter hills is creamy, sweet, nutty, smoky. Just perfect.