Effects of Altitude on Smoking Certain Blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
23 Fresh White Elephant Pipes
24 Fresh Nørding Pipes
120 Fresh Ropp Pipes
2 Fresh Scott Klein Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hi y'all! I've been smoking a pipe for about six and half years. Many blends perform reasonably well for me, but certain blends do not. For example, Bob's Chocolate Flake is asbestos for me, and (Mac Baren's) St. Bruno smokes uncomfortably hot and wet whether or not I dry it or rub it out. (The superficially similar HH ODF smokes fine, though, even with the fold-and-stuff technique.)

I live in a high-altitude (1600 meters or about a mile high) desert, and had figured that the "desert" part of that was the cause, but it occurred to my (not very physics-oriented) brain today that the altitude would have perhaps more effect on combustion. I imagine that blends designed to smoulder flavorfully near sea level might have trouble keeping an ember up here. St. Bruno seems like one of those blends, but so does C&D's Steamworks, and that burns pretty well fresh out of the tin for me. Virginia, burley, and Latakia blends all tend to perform acceptably here.

It's entirely possible that this is user error. On the other hand, it would be good to know if this altitude dependence is a common issue. I would also welcome any tips for improving flammability (e.g., proportions of dry burley) or selecting blends.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Disclaimer: I have absolutely NO experience smoking at high altitude

On a different note: airlines often have expert tasting panels to evaluate wines to be served in flight as they taste different at sea level.
But cruising altitudes are typically 35,000-40,000ft

I await your assessment of the same blends at sea level with interest

Reactions: hilbertastronaut

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
There isnt much you can do outside of building an oxygen tent. I thing the secret will be in possibly packing a little different and as other say drying. In reality everyone has to adjust to the blend and climate. Its only people who live in extremes who think about it. Heck, every individual tastes different things so I wouldnt sweat it. It wont help.

It migh be better at 5k feet becuase it wont burn so dang fast but you technique will really dictate that.

Last edited:

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I’ve smoked on top of mountains & ski slopes to no ill affect.
If your St. Bruno is smoking too hot & wet, then you’re smoking too hard & fast. If you struggle to smoke slower try a Peterson’s system or a falcon pipe. They’ll take the moisture out of the tobacco & help give you a cooler & drier smoke.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
A quick google search shows that O2 levels go from about 21% at sea level down to 17% at 1600 metres. A further search shows anecdotal evidence that although there is a difference, combustibility of wood and other non hydrocarbon fuels does not decrease significantly up to about 300 metres. Not really sure what to make of it all but as always, whatever works is the solution.

I’ve smoked on top of mountains & ski slopes to no ill affect.
If your St. Bruno is smoking too hot & wet, then you’re smoking too hard & fast. If you struggle to smoke slower try a Peterson’s system or a falcon pipe. They’ll take the moisture out of the tobacco & help give you a cooler & drier smoke.

This is good information; thank you! I've been looking for a reason to get a Falcon. I hesitate at the Peterson System pipes, mainly for vain reasons: they look like a huge Apparatus that would dwarf my scrawny hand.

Reactions: simong and BingBong
A quick google search shows that O2 levels go from about 21% at sea level down to 17% at 1600 metres. A further search shows anecdotal evidence that although there is a difference, combustibility of wood and other non hydrocarbon fuels does not decrease significantly up to about 300 metres. Not really sure what to make of it all but as always, whatever works is the solution.
We certainly still have forest fires at this altitude, though I live well enough inside town not to worry about it.

Reactions: kcghost
Disclaimer: I have absolutely NO experience smoking at high altitude

On a different note: airlines often have expert tasting panels to evaluate wines to be served in flight as they taste different at sea level.
But cruising altitudes are typically 35,000-40,000ft

I await your assessment of the same blends at sea level with interest
This is a good point about taste -- it could explain why the local food preference is saltier and spicier than our sea level experiences.

I recall that commercial airliners pressurize their cabins to the equivalent of 10,000 ft. Something about being in a plane -- the low pressure, the dryness, being pushed through a giant facility and mashed into a metal trailer like cattle -- makes me crave tonic water.

Reactions: OzPiper and jpmcwjr
It depends on several factors but I think below 8,000 feet you are safe. There are some tobaccos that literally take a blow torch to light.
I wonder sometimes if some blends were optimized for the technique of putting a small glowing coal in one's pipe.

I work from home and I tend to smoke in the afternoon while reading or editing. Work has been frustrating me quite a bit over the past couple years, so perhaps it's unsurprising that I've been smoking too fast.

Reactions: kcghost and jpmcwjr