PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’m convinced no pipe can possibly smoke better than one made of very old Algerian briar. Although soft, hard to work, and not famous for beautiful grain, Old French Algerian briar was unequalled in smoking quality.

Today I won for $20 delivered an Edward’s Algerian Briar Pot.

BB54D958-D471-4548-8075-8EEA2B37D172.jpeg
92B87F08-4C69-49FE-915E-DA9566AFE0D6.jpeg

From Pipedia

Edward’s pipes were originally produced in St. Claude France when France actually was a world-class pipe maker with longstanding business & political connections to Colonial Algeria that allowed them to obtain the finest briar.

During the tumultuous 1960’s, Edward’s created a business model to offer the finest briar available in both Classic and Freehand shapes – all at a fair price. They bought the company & equipment and cornered the market on the finest, choice Algerian Briar just before the supply vanished in political turmoil of Algeria’s independence. Edward’s packed up both machinery and briar-treasure to America, safely caching the essentials to create a new pipe-making dynasty. This was a coup, for the 70’s and 80’s were grim years for pipe smokers as quality briar all but disappeared.

All of Edward’s pipes are Algerian Briar – a fact very few pipe companies can claim, and all are oil-cured utilizing natural finishes – no strange concoctions are used to interfere in your tastebud’s dance with the briar. Algerian, Calabrian, Sardinian, Corsican – take your pick, but Algerian Briar is generally considered the finest smoking briar ever used. When combined with oil-curing, Algerian takes on a magical quality that even Alfred Dunhill recognized as far back as 1918 as the choice for both his Bruyere and Shell.

Anybody with a twenty dollar bill to spare can buy an excellent, and interesting pipe online.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
For $25 delivered I just won this square paneled Edward’s

2386BBBF-352B-4BE2-AA9B-B1736D88BA8B.jpeg

As an experiment I smoked a bowl of PS Luxury Navy Flake in an Algerian briar Marxman Benchmade and then I’m following with PS LNF in a Country Gentleman cob.

Both are delicious. I’m aging six pounds of LNF and should age six more, at least.

Both pipes are excellent smokers.

But high grade Algerian briar is simply magical. It somehow imparts a nutty, sweet, deep robust richness to the smoke. The cob is lighter tasting, milder, and likely easier for a novice to smoke.

I want more old Algerian briar pipes, especially at corn cob prices.:)

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I recently purchased and Edward's zulu from eBay. Haven't had a chance to smoke it much yet, but it's a nice looking pipe.

View attachment 199102
I’m hoping Edward’s used the same quality of Algerian briar as Marxman.

When you read about Pre Independence Algerian briar, it needed to be cured longer, aged longer, but was prized for smoking qualities above appearance and ease of working out a pipe.

There was beautiful Algerian brair, as well, and that one surely is beautiful.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I’ve owned and smoked many Edwards pipes. They were one of the first brands I collected. Being all oil cured Algerian briar for an inexpensive price intrigued me. I admire that they don’t particularly hide their fills and pits but let them be what they are -imperfect briar. I used to be in contact with the last Edwards shop in Florida and they would tell me about my pipes and when they were made. I eventually sold them off except for my first one which I still have. I sold them because every time I smoked them the fills and pits would bother my eye and lessen my experience. Still, they were excellent smokers, all of them.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
One of my two Edward’s pipe buys was a bust, as it came aftermarket varnished. I’ll decide if it’s worth stripping or just use it outdoors at the farm.

The square panel Dublin, on the other hand, is a jewel of a pipe, and a delicious smoker.

0CCE1F8F-9756-42E5-A565-4F109D732C41.jpeg459E11D9-F703-4B80-B598-3CB43439E6F6.jpegE2CEF1F9-8C94-4006-A86A-B7BCC0092D5A.jpegB10C63FC-DF63-4402-8CAC-58784C25D7EF.jpeg2336B66A-B542-4392-BEC2-109ED40D7B4E.jpeg

Some things about Algerian briar I’m convinced are true, based on these and the Marxman and other Algerian briar pipes I’ve bought lately.

1. Algerian briar somehow adds a robustness and strength to the smoke. A novice might not like that, but I love it.

2. Cake just peels off Algerian briar. For whatever reason cake doesn’t cling to the chamber as much as other briar. This helps in refreshing one.

3. I suppose there are flashy, wonderfully grained Algerian pipes but I don’t own any. They run plainer, than others, on average.

4. If a maker used Algerian briar they usually left it unstained, I think to let the customer know they used Algerian briar. It has a certain tannish hue.

5. It’s soft. No wonder it was preferred for rusticated and carved pipes.