Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 1, 2021
Tulsa, Oklahoma
0CF94CDD-EAB3-43F6-8162-6888A1B2A83B.jpeg05D796FD-6FBB-4695-9FD0-8C228FCD11ED.jpeg
just finished modding the exterior of my corn cob gentleman! Turned out nice in my opinion. Let me know if you like the stock metal band/ferrule or the brass one more.

Here’s how I did it:
-sand original lacquer off cob with various grit sand paper
-coat with Fiebing’s leather dye (i used light brown). I did two coats. Let it dry.
-apply shellac spray. I applied two coats. Let it dry.
All done!

You might notice copper coloration on the ferrule. I’m forcing a patina on the brass to see if that looks cooler.

Materials used:
-Brass hose ferrules (credit to Smokebacca/Don for discovering this!) link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VTMGRCS?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image
- Fiebing’s Leather dye
-Zinsser Bullseye Shellac spray

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
View attachment 149793View attachment 149794
just finished modding the exterior of my corn cob gentleman! Turned out nice in my opinion. Let me know if you like the stock metal band/ferrule or the brass one more.

Here’s how I did it:
-coat with Fiebing’s leather dye (i used light brown). I did two coats. Let it dry.
All done!

You might notice copper coloration on the ferrule. I’m forcing a patina on the brass to see if that looks cooler.

Materials used:
-Brass hose ferrules (credit to Smokebacca/Don for discovering this!) link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VTMGRCS?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image
- Fiebing’s Leather dye
The stain and the ferrule changed the corn cob into Peterson terra cotta...good job...

Reactions: neighborhoodman323

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas

Here’s how I did it:
All done!

Materials used:
- Fiebing’s Leather dye
I like the brass one, since you asked.

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA

Here’s how I did it:
All done!

Materials used:
- Fiebing’s Leather dye
Thank you for your post! I've made a little summer project refinishing some of my cobs from your info. Really enjoy how they have turned out! Kind of like having new pipes to curb PAD lol. Been at this for almost five decades, and still learn new info here. Thanks again!

Dec 1, 2021
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Thank you for your post! I've made a little summer project refinishing some of my cobs from your info. Really enjoy how they have turned out! Kind of like having new pipes to curb PAD lol. Been at this for almost five decades, and still learn new info here. Thanks again!
thank you for the kind words! That’s what’s cool about the hobby. The learning never stops!

These two recent ones, I did a contrast stain to give it that two tone color. It just requires a lot more elbow grease with the sand paper haha

if you need any help just let me know