PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A friend showed me his father's pipes, a father who's approaching 100, and the following caught my eye. It looks to be a predecessor of the Missouri Meerschaum line, and I hope the Morgans catch this thread. The stem may be bone, or something other than plastic.
The pipe in the background is odd. He thinks it came from Africa. It's heavy, and feels like metal. Cloisonné??
2p3ENrY.jpg

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
Cool stuff!

Those are also some nice ones in the background. Did you get more pics?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
The rear pipe is I believe actually a Persian pipe done with what is called micro-mosaics. I worked with a guy years ago who was from Iran, came over about the time of the revolution, and had some boxes, and pens done this way. I don't know if there's an actual name for this art form, but it looked very labor intensive. If the pipe is metal, wouldn't be something I'd like to smoke though, even though it looks pretty cool.
Here's a couple of examples:

traditional-persian-mosaic-handmade-khatam-28355354-600x396.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think you hit the nail square on! Very similar designs to my non-artist eye. And, no, I wouldn't smoke it if it were mine.
The stuff in the background: a very cheap meer, not in great shape. An ordinary Missouri Meer, and the carved wooden one is not briar, the small one chamber in bad shape and stem is stuck. The MM is the only one I'd smoke if they were mine.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
The pipe in the background is odd. He thinks it came from Africa. It's heavy, and feels like metal. Cloisonné??
Orley is right I guess:
http://www.persiancarpetwarehouse.com/product.php?productid=17569

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, sure looks spot on.
Does anyone know if any of the Missouri Meerschaum folks participate here? If so, please direct them to this thread!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Does anyone know if any of the Missouri Meerschaum folks participate here? If so, please direct them to this thread!
Our lovely Captain Duane (chasingembers) knew someone from the MM I think.

momeerphil

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2009
The corn cob pipe in the foreground is actually a successor to the Missouri Meerschaum pipes. The Otto family in Washington, MO owned Missouri Meerschaum for about 75 years and sold it in the late 70s. One of the younger Otto's, Steve, started his own company called Missouri Pipes. Rather than make pipes, it is my understanding he did this to sell off some of the pipes that the Otto family kept. Missouri Pipes was only in business for a few years until the inventory was sold off.

Steve Otto is in his 70s now, and comes by the plant every few months to talk. He is a great guy, full of lots of information about the history of Missouri Meerschaum.

Reactions: gregjl

momeerphil

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2009
This pipe could be from the 1950s through 1970s, but no later than the mid-1970s. The stem is probably bone and actually screws into the shank. There was a company just up the hill from us (building is still there) that was called the Bone Products Company in the first half of the 1900s. They supplied the bone and each stems was made by hand. We still have a few on hand, but will never part with them!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
That is good information. Thanks Phil! I don't have any pipes like that, but I always enjoy hearing cob pipe lore.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
the other pipe, according co jvnshr's suggested website is actually wood - still looks more like a decorative piece than something one would smoke ..

Status
Not open for further replies.