PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I didn't realize IEM (In Ear Monitor) has been improving a lot of late. I started using ear buds back in 82 when RadioShack used to make them. Worked great with Sony Walkman. Kinda put in in the ears, and run the line above the ears, and your teachers will never know you had music playing. Those things were painful. But people figured out how to make them better. Then later on IEM were all the talk. Shure made high end ones. But I was too cheap to buy them until something like 2010. There bottom end one, se115, for discount. Then maybe ten years ago got a Bluetooth se215 while on sale. Liked se115 much better. Lately, I wanted something with less bass, something clean, crisp, and bright. So stared looking. Holy crap! There are thousands of them. What people say is much better then se215 or even se4xx for just under $50. All made in China, and people actually loving them. I'm just confused and totally lost. Got one that had a good review, but not sure at all if I'll like it. Good thing I got it through Amazon. They'll take back if it's not as good as se115.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
I used my cheap 5 dollar pair or wireless ear buds for 2 years before they gave up. I then splurged on a 50 dollar pair of JBL ear buds.

I spend lots of time on the phone these days, talking to different friends. Hours at a time sometimes, every day. I couldn't do that with out earbuds. Lol. That and the very few podcasts I listen to at work, I'd be lost without them

Reactions: bullet08
Aug 1, 2012
USA
I don't know how good your ears are but one of the things I've found about most earbuds (and some cheap IEMs) it's the the frequency response is crap. Many compensate by dialing in too much bass and ice pick highs while neglecting the mids. Makes cheap MP3s sound "good" but you miss out on the full experience.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I have apples version which i really used to like then someone turned me on to these, i have an older version but use them all the time going for walks, bike rides even on calls at work sometimes. Seems they have renamed the company. I really like bone conduction, not like a symphony hall, but great for general purposes.

BingBong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I'm a Luddite in these matters, can't abide stuff in my ears. Had a really good pair of lightweight headphones once, Sony MDR-CD7 I seem to remember - had to give them away to Nick Mason and couldn't find another pair in the UK to replace them... which is why he wanted mine after his broke.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Been a very, very long while since I've used earphones, with the occasional exception of listening to my very old MP3 player whilst washing the bathroom.

About the only thing I put in or over my ears is my ear defenders when I'm vacuuming or working with power tools. And I don't care for the Isuxtunes gimmick either: yeah, save your hearing from loud noise, but fry your brain with radiation from the Bluetooth—that's smart! :rolleyes:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I don't know how good your ears are but one of the things I've found about most earbuds (and some cheap IEMs) it's the the frequency response is crap. Many compensate by dialing in too much bass and ice pick highs while neglecting the mids. Makes cheap MP3s sound "good" but you miss out on the full experience.
I get very good response from IEM. Bur the ear tip has to completely seal the ear canal. Otherwise the sound is all washed out. Usually expanding foam tips are very forgiving. I can hear things I can't from avg speakers and headphones. No, God's not talking to me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Wow, I just realized I haven't owned anything so much as a set of headphones since the early '80s.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I used to have a pair of Sure E5 IEM that I used when mixing monitors for bands that use IEM. I used them to listen to music once in a while and they were amazing. These we made around 2000. Now I just use a pair of Klipsh simi wireless ear buds with foam tips for listening to music while mowing and I have to say the frequency response is pretty good.

Reactions: BingBong