E-payment Security Lacking in US Web Shops.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have never found anything about apps to be more convenient. They sold us the idea that computers would save more time, but I've never found that to be the case. Talking is quicker than texts or email, and just peeling a five off a roll in my pocket takes less time than even opening my phone. I think that if we ever do go cashless, it will be the nail in the coffin for freedom and the American way.

It also kills me that people that are afraid the government will put microchips in the vaccines are quite ok with cashless societies.
rofl no shit man. I'd say you're more likely to be chipped by an Alien abductor.
Great answer, thank you!

The 3D-S 2.0 must be the new two step verification that's now commonplace with Swedish e-vendors. I like the added safety but there has been critique.

Perhaps it's not the payment process itself that is where the theft occurred but how the e-vendor then stores your information.
it could actually be the internet service or wifi you are using.
EU internet is horribly insecure.. so even entering info on a site may have been being remotely viewed by a 3rd party.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
rofl no shit man. I'd say you're more likely to be chipped by an Alien abductor.

it could actually be the internet service or wifi you are using.
EU internet is horribly insecure.. so even entering info on a site may have been being remotely viewed by a 3rd party.

Public WiFi and internet in hotels, airports etc is horribly insecure all round the world. I'm having a hard time believing a Swedish or German ISP that you use for work or home internet connection to be any less safe than any other ISP. I do take your point however and agree that there is no way to be 100 % certain that the US e-vendors are to blame. Although it's quite a coincidence if they are not.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Public WiFi and internet in hotels, airports etc is horribly insecure all round the world. I'm having a hard time believing a Swedish or German ISP that you use for work or home internet connection to be any less safe than any other ISP. I do take your point however and agree that there is no way to be 100 % certain that the US e-vendors are to blame. Although it's quite a coincidence if they are not.
I think hackers just target those transactions as they are easier to single out from all the normal internet chaff.
Same with when I buy something internationally.. hackers take note and figure you have money to be ordering international.

which is funny because when they stole my one debit card info I had no money in the account and the transaction was declined/blocked right away. :ROFLMAO: JOKES ON YOU, BITCHES!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
However I did have someone drain my account of thousands by charging some type of Post-Graduate test to my card 2 -3 times per day.. when each "test" was costing over $300.

I asked the bank how someone was getting money off that and they said it was most likely someone who worked for that school, was taking cash from the school, then using those charges to cover the cash in their accounting.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Great answer, thank you!

The 3D-S 2.0 must be the new two step verification that's now commonplace with Swedish e-vendors. I like the added safety but there has been critique.

Perhaps it's not the payment process itself that is where the theft occurred but how the e-vendor then stores your information.

The vendor should not be storing your credit card information. If the vendor is actually the entity storing your credit card information (unless it's, say, a bank), that would be a problem regardless of geography.

Saved payments on ecommerce sites are blind (or at least should be): the vendor doesn't know what that card information is; it just has the ability to tell the bank to go charge that account.

Ecommerce vendors should never store your card information. There are exceptions to this (such as when you read a card number off to a customer service agent), but in those cases there should be non-retention protocols.

As for two-step authentication, yes, that's what you're seeing. It doesn't surprise me that Swedish banks have generally done a better job here than banks in other European countries with bringing themselves into compliance on 3D-S 2.0.

However, this two-part authentication protects the merchant and--to some degree--the customer, but only after a third-party has access to the payment information. So, imagine that I have stolen your credit card information (however it happened: I took your wallet and read the numbers on the card, let's say), then it would be hard for me to use it with a merchant that employs two-part authentication (it would also be hard for me to use it with a vendor who uses robust algorithms to catch fraudulent use of credit cards, but that's a whole different discussion), but it wouldn't have prevented me from stealing it in the first place.

I'm not saying that the 3D-S 2.0 is bad. I think it's mostly good. I think it's sort of a blunt policy instrument where more surgical policies are perhaps appropriate, but it will likely help with card security in general.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The vendor should not be storing your credit card information. If the vendor is actually the entity storing your credit card information (unless it's, say, a bank), that would be a problem regardless of geography.
Are you talking about the feature on their sites to keep your card info to make future purchases faster/hassle-free?

If so, plenty of them are guilty of that. From A to Zn.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Are you talking about the feature on their sites to keep your card info to make future purchases faster/hassle-free?

If so, plenty of them are guilty of that. From A to Zn.
he said those are blind to the vendor

R

Rattray

I have an antivirus system on my laptop and my wireless service is secure, requiring a password that I created. I buy in canada, the US and Europe (mostly the UK).
I recently attempted to buy a pipe from a European website via Microsoft Edge and it was labeled as 'Not secure', even when I was in the checkout process. Then, I went on Opera and, being VPN protected, there was no such mention.
In any case, I did not proceed, of course, out of prudence. But the question remains: is the problem Microsoft Edge? The vendor's website? My antivirus? Or something else?
I always check this out before I buy something online: is the website secure? Equifax was supposed to be secure until they were hacked, in 2017, and the investigation proved that Equifax did not implement the basic IT requirements in terms of security. Isn't that something else? So, who can we really trust?
Despite my due diligence - the antivirus, the secure wireless, secure sites and secure C/C transaction softwares, my Amex card info was stolen twice and attempted purchases (the last one being 3,000 USD, from somewhere in Asia) were made; but Amex stopped it, of course, and replaced my card.
This is the major Con with IT. Edward Snowden took off with over a million Top Secret docs on a fricking jump drive. Try to do this in 1970. It would not have been so easy. It would have required how many trailer trucks?

Reactions: Gecko and BROBS

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
I know... and to make matters worse, we have a large faction of people here in the US demanding we get rid of paper currency and going all digital, which doesn't make any sense at all to me. I don't have a single digital thing that has not come under attack or has not been hacked. So, why put faith in it at this moment in time?

Plus, once we go digital, paying the kid next door a few dollars to take my garbage to the road for me, or handing a fiver to the guy who helps me lift something into a my truck, or the chose to give my kids an allowance is taken away. Plus, do we really want Big Brother looking in on every transaction that we make and taking their share as they feel fit?
All my daughter uses is some kind of payment app on her phone that lets you send money directly to individual and business accounts even if it's a couple of dollars. I think that's all she does.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
All my daughter uses is some kind of payment app on her phone that lets you send money directly to individual and business accounts even if it's a couple of dollars. I think that's all she does.
Venmo
It’s what all the hip kids use

Reactions: LOREN
It’s what all the hip kids use
I just taught my girls about coffee cans and burying them in the backyard... along with how to launder money in offshore accounts, and using gemstone trades to transfer wealth across borders. It's just an old family thing. puffy

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
I feel you, Cosmic. Over here we are almost there, hard cash is very seldom used. And small everyday payments to friends etc have been solved with an app allowing you to send small sums of money to peoples telephone number. It's convenient, but sure feels like you are working for the machine and not the other way around.
Welcome my son
Welcome to the machine
What did you dream?
It's alright we told you what to dream

Pink Floyd 1975

Reactions: Gecko and hawky454

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I get a scam email a few times a week from Pay Pal, Amazon and Netflix, always the same thing...I need to update my payment information or my account is frozen.

Also, I get a phone call a couple of times a week about extending my car warranty. I'll block that number and in a few days they call again with a different number...I block that number...they call again...I block that number...they call again. The numbers always look like they're local numbers too.

Aggravates the hell out of me. ?
There are some great apps that can kill those damn phone calls. I started getting texts recently, I put a stop to that real quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.