Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I have a Dunhill pipe with the following markings:

24 (serif style)
DUNHILL's "Shell Briar"
Pat. Nos. 119708/17. 5861/12

No COM stamp.

It also has a twin bore stem.

Everything I can find leads me to believe that the pipe is 1921-1931, but because it has no date code stamp, I cannot narrow it down any further.

My questions are:

WIth these patent numbers and no date code stamp, can I narrow down the year any further?
Did Dunhill ever make a twin-bore stem or is this for sure a replacement?
This pipe is HUGE compared to my other 1920's era pipes. It seems to be a group 5 or 6 size.

I purchased the pipe from Germany.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.Dunhill 24 Left Side.jpgDunhill 24 Left Side.jpgDunhill 24 Top.jpgDunhill 24 Bottom.jpgDunhill 24 Bottom Flash.jpgDunhill 24 Twin Bore Stem.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Pipehil dating key says pre-1921, but I’m no expert. Dunhill did offer “two way stems” by special order, but I don’t know when they started that.

I’m sure others more familiar with the brand will weigh in.

Reactions: oldguyoldpipes

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I think it can be narrowed down to 1926-1931.

Would you think someone in this pipe's history sanded the top just for looks or as a repair/cut down of the bowl height? Also, I am always confused by the shape numbers vs. shape leters issue.
I have a 1931 Dunhil that is stamped FE 24 ? Is the 24 an actual shape code or does it designate stem shape and bowl sizing like the newer stamps? Why would they stamp it FE (Prince shape code) and 24?
I am in search of a 1921, 1922, 1926 and a 1927 to complete my 1920s decade.
Thanks for the information. I seem to have caught the Dunhill bug (although I know some people would disagree). I almost always look for Shell Briars as I like that character of the briar more that Bruyere or Roots.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Would you think someone in this pipe's history sanded the top just for looks or as a repair/cut down of the bowl height? Also, I am always confused by the shape numbers vs. shape leters issue.
I have a 1931 Dunhil that is stamped FE 24 ? Is the 24 an actual shape code or does it designate stem shape and bowl sizing like the newer stamps? Why would they stamp it FE (Prince shape code) and 24?
I am in search of a 1921, 1922, 1926 and a 1927 to complete my 1920s decade.
Thanks for the information. I seem to have caught the Dunhill bug (although I know some people would disagree). I almost always look for Shell Briars as I like that character of the briar more that Bruyere or Roots.
Yes, the rim has been sanded, most likely to tidy up knocking damage, or get rid of carbon buildup, or even maybe because someone thought it would look better that way :) .

FE is indeed the shape designation. On early Dunhills, the pipes were also stamped with an inner tube size number. I’m guessing that’s what the 23 is.

I prefer the early Shells myself! I used to have a good amount from the 1920s, but thinned out my collection some and now I only have special favorites from that era. I’ll check what I’ve got and see if there is anything I’d part with, if you’d like. I wish you success on your search!

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Yes, the rim has been sanded, most likely to tidy up knocking damage, or get rid of carbon buildup, or even maybe because someone thought it would look better that way :) .

FE is indeed the shape designation. On early Dunhills, the pipes were also stamped with an inner tube size number. I’m guessing that’s what the 23 is.

I prefer the early Shells myself! I used to have a good amount from the 1920s, but thinned out my collection some and now I only have special favorites from that era. I’ll check what I’ve got and see if there is anything I’d part with, if you’d like. I wish you success on your search!

Thank You. I always forget about the innertubes because most of mine do not have them.
Is there a Dunhill reference book you could recommend so that I can become more knowledgable?
I smoke all of my Dunhills and there are only a few that I do not prefer over my other collections. Usually my 1950s and 1960s Dunhills seem to smoke the best and the 1920s and 1930s almost all seem to be much smaller than the newer years. The one maker that seems to all smoke well are my Sasienis which is funny because I almost refused to buy them because the blast was initially strange looking to me. However, I seem to be hooked on them now. I have one old one and the rest are all from the 1946-1979 era.

Status
Not open for further replies.