PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I recently came across a small billiard that I am suspecting of being from the 1920s. However, as with most things Dunhill, they love to hide their secrets. The stampings on the pipe are:

On the left side of the pipe:
A
DUNHILL (over) LONDON

On the right side of the pipe:
"INNER TUBE" (over)
Pat. No. 5861/12 (Which I believe indicates an English sales pipe, not U.S.)

On the stem:
Reg (over)
5468 (?? partially buffed away)

I have very carefully looked at it with a 40x jewelers loop and I cannot find any stamping of MADE IN ENGLAND or a date year.

Am I looking at a pre-1920s pipe? All my other Dunhills have the MADE IN ENGLAND stamping. This is the first pipe I have not been able to locate it.

I have attached pictures, but because it is a Bruyere, I cannot get good photos of the stampings.

As always, any and all replies and information is greatly appreciated.Dunhill 41 Left Side.jpgDunhill 41 Right Side.jpgDunhill 41 Top.jpg

Reactions: Bowie

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Not to answer my own question, but I was able to find the Pre-1925 Dunhill page on Pipedia and based on that information, it appears:

1) The lack of the MADE IN ENGLAND stamp indicates the pipe was not intended to be exported. That would make sense with the Inner Tube patent number of 5861/12. This may be my only non-export Dunhill.

2) The lack of a year mark and the fact that the DUNHILL (over) LONDON has no "tails" it seems highly likely the pipe dates to a 1920?

3) Although the DUNHILL (over) LONDON appears to be of equal length, the L in DUNHILL extends a bit past the N in London, so I am not comfortable dating the pipe to 1918. Also, there is no "stop" mark after the letter A which I believe was marked on all Bruyeres prior to 1919?

4) Based on the shape of the stem (and it appears original because of the Reg stamping) and the small size of the pipe overall, those facts are consistent with Dunhill pipes of the period and matches my other 1920s Dunhills.

I am getting a bit obsessed with dating it to 1920 since that would fill an empty space in my collection.

If my Senior Dunhill Members could lend their opinions to confirm or deny my beliefs, I would be much appreciative.

Reactions: dmcmtk

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
I’m neither a Dunhill expert nor fan, but I love old billiards. Dark pics, but it looks like there’s some nice grain there. The obvious use displayed by the misshapen rim/bowl makes me love it even more. Great find!

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I’m neither a Dunhill expert nor fan, but I love old billiards. Dark pics, but it looks like there’s some nice grain there. The obvious use displayed by the misshapen rim/bowl makes me love it even more. Great find!
That much use means it was a great smoker for someone I bet. I like well used old pipes with a history even if I don't know it. I can imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.