PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Filters and filter pipes are so omnipresent in the pipe market that I'd just buy a pipe designed for the purpose. Drilling will thin down the airway that wasn't designed for the purpose, so it's a gamble. But filters are available in briars and cobs, at all price levels. I'd just get those. Keep the non-filter pipe; you may want that for extremely mild blends or just a change of pace. Most filter pipes can be smoked without filters, with an adaptor or without, so keep that in mind.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Couldn’t you just stuff your mouth full of paper towels? Just kidding. I’d just buy a filter pipe.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
First, to ask what should be obvious... is the stem and mortise wide enough in diameter to accommodate the size filter you want?

Secondly, does hat same area have enough length to accommodate that filter?

Third, do you feel skilled enough to drill it yourself while possibly causing catastrophe damage to your pipe?

Now the not so obvious. Why do you feel you need to adapt the pipe for a filter? What sort of pipe is it? Are you experiencing some sort of issue while smoking that you feel you need a filter?

If you want a pipe with a filter, why not offload that one on the estate market and just buy a filter pipe?

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
If you have a filter pipe to reference from it shouldn’t be too hard. If you have never own or seen the inside of a filter pipe up close then it might need some study beforehand.

if it will fit then I’d say go for it.

to all those people who are saying “just buy a filter pipe wtf u doin?”
Sometimes you just want to experiment(and/or fuck shit up) and it’s not necessarily the end result that’s the singular goal. It’s about the experience of doing it.

now, is drilling your own pipe for the first time the most sure-fire way to have a filtered pipe? No, probably not, but it’s a necessary step in learning to modify pipes. plus if you get it right, then you get the added bonus of having a filtered pipe RIGHT NOW instead of waiting for the mail or going to the store.

so fuck shit up! And measure twice cut(drill) once;)