PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
So I picked up a multi tool over the weekend at a yard sale and bought a kit of new tips and such. I was wondering if the guys who do rustication could show us some pics of their work and which type of tip they used. I have already started working and experimenting on some old pipes but it would probably help lots of guys to see what has already been done especially by the more experienced dremel users.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Dave,look on Ebay for Dental Burs with a 1/8" shank. Some are quite expensive but I have found some at good prices. They cut circles around the bur and bits that usually come with Dremels or other rotary tools. I like the "inverted cone" shaped burs especially.

capture-600x190.jpg

I did the rustication on these two with an inverted cone bur.

seansa-comoy-2011-12-27-002-1280x960-600x450.jpg

rusticated-dublin-2011-09-13-003-1280x960-600x450.jpg

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Thanks Ed, those look great. I have one bur, but Ill look for some others, yeah I would love for Jason to also post pics ith the tools used, or others.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Jason should have some pics in his album,if you can get to it, and he doesn't post some.
Thanks grizzly,I did that one for a friend.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yep,Halcyon wax--but first a little shellac, only on the rusticated areas. You can use carnuba but it's tricky. The wax has a tendency to build up in the low areas. I used shellac on the bent Comoy above,but not on the dublin in the second pic.Notice the difference in shine? When I made the dublin,didn't know about using shellac.Discovered it after doing some reading on the Pipe makers forum.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Any hardware store. I use the Zinzer brand. Been around forever. Shellac does have some color. The Comoy above, I did not stain the rusticated area,color is from the shellac. But you can use it over stains. I just shellaced a tamper I made from Mulberry and it didn't change the color as far as I can tell.

It can be used straight from the can or thinned with denatured alcohol which you can get at the hardware store also.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
"Shellac does have some color"

------------------------------------------------------------

Shain, be aware that there is a variation of shellac called "orange". I've always used it to give an aged orange-brown color to raw oak furniture. This one immediately darkens your project; if that's what you desire. Over time, sunlight continues the darkening. I have used it on pipes for dark-accenting instead of stain. Or, you can just buy the clear type shellac, which only slightly darkens the project.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
If you use carnuba this can happen...

1326.jpg

Notice the white bits....it does recede after a few smokes and some handling though

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yep.that's the problem I have with carnuba on a rustic pipe. I seem to remember reading on the pipe makers forum about how to do it,something about a light touch and slow buffing speeds. My buffers have only one speed !

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah it is very hard to do a rough pipe, Im going to try this halcyon stuff. The place where everybody orders their micromesh is about 20 min from me so Im going to go browse around there first.

Status
Not open for further replies.